cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joypads

Community Veteran

Joypads

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a joypad for gaming, I don't like joysticks or need anything fancy.

Must have 6 main buttons, don't really care about any additional ones.

Not sure whether a game port interface or USB would be best.

It also needs to support Win98 through to XP. Any recommendations?

Chris
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Joypads

Logitech Wingman series. End of story.

Hardly ever used mine (not a big game fan), but it was good. Smiley

Thomas
Community Veteran

Joypads

I had had a look at them and thought thats what I would probably go for. However I like the look of the MS Sidewinder pads, although the only one I can find available in the UK only seems to support Win98!

Any thoughts on USB v Game Port?

Chris
N/A

Joypads

If a game is DirectX compatable, then it should accept the sidewinders no problem.

The MS range use DirectX intergration for the buttons. There is some software, so buttons can be mapped to keyboard keys (this is the bit that may not work on XP).

I have to agree on the Logitech series though, as MS have a very good habit of building hardware then quickly removing support (game voice being one).
Community Veteran

Joypads

I use a MIDI port because it saves wasting one of my USB ports. Wink There aren't really any advantages either way - both are hot-swappable, which is the only issue I can think of.

Btw, I heard somewhere that MS is going to stop their SideWinder line... probably explains the lacklustre OS support.

Thomas
Community Veteran

Joypads

The games I want to use it on are all emulators so no direct-x.

Ive seen a sidewinder pad that does say it supports all OSs but it seems to be only available in America Smiley

As long as there are no problems with USB I'll get a USB pad since I've only just remembered my laptop doesnt have a game port, silly me Smiley

Chris