cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving / Gaming

N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

Lo all,

I was thinking of upgrading my 2mg line to 8mg, But I noticed this thing called "Interleaving". I havent really heard of this before.

So my question is.. Have any of you guys noticed any problems with either Upgrading from 2mg ->8mg ? or had any faults with having Interleaving turned on or off?

Thanks for your time all Smiley

Matt
22 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Interleaving / Gaming

Personally I have Interleaving on. But I was unable to get 2Mbps as I'm on a long line. All comes down to line quality whether its needed and whether or not you'll get 8Mbps yourself.
Post your lines stats from your Router/Modem if you can. Will answer the question.
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

cool.. just one thing though.. what line stats? Is that like running a trace route to some where or something?
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

Yeah i am wondering the same thing.

Will the upgraded speed mean a problem with ping?
Not sure if they mean it will be a problem all the time in gaming.

I just want to know if i should leave interleaving on or turn it off as i play CS:S and cureently get 1800 on my conection most of the time.
Cheers
Damian
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

In my experience the standard 2Mb service is far better for games than the 8Mb Max service. My old 25ms ping on 2Mb has doubled to 50ms on UK servers which means UK play isn't much fun and overseas play is impossible with 60ms+. That is with interleaving apparently turned off.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Interleaving / Gaming

Hi,

In a lot of cases having interleaving or not is going to be a bit of a tradeoff. If the line's stable and sync'd at 8128kbps with a bit of SNR margin to spare or it syncs at a lower rate the the SNR doesn't fluctuate across the day and you don't see any disconnections then interleaving being on will make little difference to the connection.

On a longer line, or where the SNR fluctuates a lot or you see disconnections then interleaving will very likely improve the stability.

Of course the tradeoff is an increase in ping times. The first factor that influences the ping is how far away you are from London and the second how far away from London the server you are ping is. Interleaving will probably add an extra 20-40ms on top of that.

Most routers will allow you to see if interleaving is on or off, probably best to check it as there have been cases where we've requested BT change the interleave status, the order shows it to have changed but the customer's equipment shows it's still on (or off as the case may be).
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

In my particular case, a number of requests have been made to BT to turn off interleaving yet my router still shows it as being enabled and I still have the +20ms lag that appeared immediately after the 8Mb upgrade. My line seems to be solid, syncing at 8128/448 and rarely disconnecting, so I'm more than willing to try having interleaving disabled in order to get back reasonable gaming performance.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Interleaving / Gaming

Looks like the CSC are trying to sort this one out, I'll check up on it tomorrow and see what we can do.
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

Thanks, anything you can do to speed this along would be much appreciated!
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

ahh .. Dont think I`ll be upgrading then for a while (or at least until issues like this are sorted)

Thanks for the info though
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

Yea, I wouldn't. I've been trying since November to get this sorted but with no luck. It took tech support 5 days to respond to my last ticket, and even then it was only to ask a question that I'd answered previously.
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

dtomlinson, is there any chance you could intervene on my behalf on this one?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Interleaving / Gaming

Let me see what I can do.
N/A

Interleaving / Gaming

After four days my ticket was returned telling me to reset my router and provide traceroutes, both of which I'd already done earlier on in the discussion.

Please, dtomlinson, give me a hand here. Three months to turn off interleaving is just unacceptable.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

Interleaving / Gaming

Having exactly the same problem. Only two weeks but still doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere. Replies to the ticket just seem to get someone confirming it's still interleaved, asking someone to check, them checking bt's records (which of course say it's off) and telling me it's off. Someone from PN wanna help? Ticket 21143689 if so...

EDIT: Sam Simpson has said she's going to take care of it now. I might as well not bother with tickets anymore, just get one of the comms team to fix things as they always seem to end up doing it anyway :roll: