cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS + Not reconising Network adaptor (Xbox live)

N/A

hey all

I'm trying to set up my new Xbox 360 to access Xbox Live.
I'm trying to get it to connect via the Computer. Using Plusnets guide says that I have to enable internet Conection Sharing. But all the guides I have been using Ethier not up todate (i.e. pre SP2) or ask me to run that Newwork Set up guide!
But I also havbe a thought that My computer doesn'ty seem to reconise that it has a built in network card where the Xbox is connected to on the computer. So i dunnop if thats the problem!

Any advice?

Cheers

Muz

My Computers Spec is
AMD Atholn XP 2600+
512 DDR Ram
Mother board Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo Kt440
120 gig HD
200 gig HD
Windows XP Home Edition Sp2
USB Modem
11 REPLIES
N/A

are you using a usb modem or ethernet?

its just that last year when i was trying to get on to xbox live it was impossible for me to do it using usb? (maybe somebody here does knows how)

but things i learnt along the way were that
1. you need two network cards for ICS
2. you need a cross-over cable from the computer to your xbox
3. i dont think that ICS is possible through usb (on this im not too sure :?) i did get my xbox saying it was connected but i couldnt play it online

sorry i know that your using xbox 360, but these things might only be relevent to the xbox which is what i was using. but i though some help is better than no help

in the end i bought a router (used the ethernet connection) and found it sorted the problem after a couple of weeks of pulling my hair out trying to get ICS to work
N/A

sorry just read the very bottom line of your post Shockedops:

you have my sympathy i know how it feels to be in your postion
N/A

hey thanks for the reply!

Its a USB Modem i'm using! the Xbox is connected up with a Cross over cable!

yeah i'll have a look at getting a router over teh weekend! Cheers
N/A

no problem

oh just thinking if your computer doesnt seem to think it has a network card then you could try going into control panel->system->hardware->device manager and making sure that there is a driver installed for your network card. And even if there is then check to see if there i a new driver available.

you could always go to http://driveragent.com and they'll tell you if any of your drivers are out of date for free, but you'll have to go find them yourself though, but they're handy nonetheless
aeroalfie
Grafter

I just set up xbox live last night - i have the 360 connected to my PC via the cable included with the 360 and i connect to the net via a USB voyager 105 modem connected to my PC.

i went to Network connections right click on my modem and enabled internet connection sharing.
if i remember right i had to do the setup wizard in 'set up a home or small office network'

One of the problems i had was my firewall, Kerio (free version) wouldn't allow me to share my connection so i installed Zone Alarm and all is well - you could try turning of your fire wall aswell as the built in windows fire wall see if that helps.

I didn't bother with any guide i just winged it - i only have XP sp1 but i don't think that would make much of a difference?
N/A

That will be your problem, the cable supplied with the Xbox is a straight ethernet cable, as said previously in this thread, you need a cross-over ethernet cable to connect 2 machines directly, rather than through a hub or switch
Community Veteran

Most network cards or on-board Ethernet use auto-sensing connections now a days so you can use a straight through or x-over cable between the two units. However, yours may be the unlucky minority that don't.

Also ZoneAlarm free firewall does not support ICS connections, only the Pro version does. Try without any firewall running to see if that is the cause.
N/A

That is correct most do detect speed and duplex modes, however not all have UCR capablities (universal cable recognition) to detect whether the cable is straight or cross-over.
Cheesy
aeroalfie
Grafter

Also ZoneAlarm free firewall does not support ICS connections, only the Pro version does. Try without any firewall running to see if that is the cause.

You sure about that? i am using the free version of ZA firewall and can access XBL.
I have connected my xbox360 to my PC to access the internet, same as mcalpine2005 wants to do.
Community Veteran

Is your internet zone security set to high or medium. The last free version I tried (6.1) would only allow ICS to work if set to medium. Maybe the latest version (6.5) is different.
aeroalfie
Grafter

You are correct Peter - internet zone is set on medium ZA recommend this zone only be used temporarily. Hmmm guess i will have to ditch it now, any recommendations for easy to use free firewall that wont restrict security due to connection sharing?

thanks.

EDIT: just installed comodo, all seems to be running/sharing ok .Smiley
EDIT2: Did work ok, now its stopped giving me access to the net but can still access files on my PC?