cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the XBOX 360 connect to the net

N/A

Firstly - I have only bee able to order the Core system so none of the extra bits!!! Sad

How do you connect to XBOX 360 Live?
From what I can see there's either an Ethernet connection or you have to buy a WiFi adapter (£59.99) and connect to a wireless network (luckily I do have one). Can it not connect via a USB DSL modem?

I'm confused as Ethernet connections are not usually readily installed in peoples houses!!!!

Cheers

Ron
4 REPLIES
N/A

I believe its either a standard ethernet cable that connects either to you PC* or Router/Hub/Switch.

or

The WiFi adapter that connects to your Wireless Router.

You would be better spending the £60 on a wireless router for your broadband and then using a standard rj45 ethernet patch cable to the X360. Wait a few month and then buy an unofficial wireless adapter for the X360.

I dont think it will be able to use USB modems although it does have USB connections.

*You might be able to (as I mentioned above) just network it with your computer and it might share the internet. This is usually done by a crossover cable but I really dont know if the X360 will suport this.

All you need is your USB Modem on the PC, a LAN/Ethernet Card for PC and a Crossover cable.

Personally if I was you, I would buy a Wireless Router and a 3M-10M RJ45 Patch Cable. Wait a while and get an unofficial xbox wifi adapter.

Job done Cool
N/A

Thx for the help.

I already have a wireless network.

Would I be better buying a wirless ethernet bridge and plugging this into the ethernet port on the xbox or would it be better to buy the official wifi adapter.

Could there be an issue with XBOX compatability with ethernet bridges?

My wireless modem/router is Netgear DG834GT (108mbps) and Netgear do an ethernet bridge (only 58mbps) which is about £15 cheaper than the XBOX adapter.

Cheers
N/A

The main advantage with the 360 wifi adapter is powered by the 360, but if you want it up and running now I'd buy one of the ethernet bridges\game adapters. I use one with my XBOX without a problem.

Hope this helps,

Dan
N/A

Thx for all your help

XBOX should be here today Cheesy