cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting a server

N/A

Hosting a server

Hey,
any possible way to host a server using my web space and telnet? Or is there any way to pay extra for Plus net to host a game server for me? Or shall I look at external game server hosting companies? Just a thought

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Hosting a server

You can't run a game server from your webspace. Plus.net do have a couple of servers available for games though.

What game do you want hosting? And is there a Linux version of the server software available? Plus.net only run Linux servers.
N/A

Hosting a server

CSS, there is a Linux version of the Source server available
Firejack
Grafter

Hosting a server

There is one problem with using the Plus.net servers for CS:S. The tickrate won't go above 50. I've tried everything. The reason is that because the server doesn't generate any graphics. It uses the server FPS setting to calculate how often to check for incoming packets. Meaning tickrate is linked to server FPS. Now the server FPS won't go above 50 as the CPU timer is set to 50 Hertz and we need it to be 101 or ideally 1000 so the operating system tells the source server it can run at a high FPS. The solution is to recompile the linux kernal. Not sure the guy who sets up the servers for us customers would have the time to do that though.

Essentially what I'm saying is the server is good for fun use. If you are die hard competitive types with super human reflex's. You may notice hit detection problems occasionally. Personally I don't think its a big deal as I've never known a situation where I've fired a full magazine into someone at point blank and they've survived.

You can test out the Plus.net servers. They should all be prefixed by "Plus.net ::" . The IP of the CS:S server I run is 212.159.6.226:27015
N/A

Hosting a server

Oh Wink was looking at T66 or 100, however i've heard of a few fixes for FPS problems where you play a small 2kb video file, and that boosts the FPS and generates it up 1000max. There is also a Source server FPS hack that you can apply, however im certain this is only possible through Windows as it is an executable.

Are the servers free for anyone to install a copy of their game-servers, whats the score here? You say you've messed about with some settings, is this a privilege that you have personally been given or is this something that all users can do?

Thanks very much for your help Smiley
Firejack
Grafter

Hosting a server

In the 5 years I've been here they have always been issued on a first come first serve basis.
You manage the server yourself via SSH. So you'll need to brush up on your linux Wink If its only CS:S that needs setting up I don't mine spending 30 minutes to do it for you. Anyway first I'll E-mail the guy who sets up the servers to see if he can help you out and maybe even fix the FPS issue.

Unfortunately the trick of playing a video file is Windows only like you say.
N/A

Hosting a server

Nice! Thank you very much!