cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting a Warcraft 3 game

N/A

May be a stupid question but is your modem connected up to the PC your trying to host on?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

I'm having trouble hosting a Warcraft 3 game, and not sure why. I'm on the £14.99 monthly deal and am using the USB modem that came with it (Voyager 105). I'm trying to host a game and the default port for wc3 is 6112 and as I have no firewall except Windows Firewall on I can't see the reason why.

Thanks for help in advance

Dave
N/A

Elaborate as to what is stopping you from hosting a wc3 server?
N/A

When I try to invite players to play, it comes up with an error saying they can't connect. Also, wc3 is an abbreviation for WarCraft 3. Also when I host a game nobody can see it

Thanks
Community Veteran

I've moved this to a more suitable forum.

Chris
N/A

i'll try it out later and let u know.
u mean hosting games on Bnet servers right?
cos i don't think u can use your computer as a server/host without a static Ip ...
N/A

Strange thing is, is that pretty much everyone can host a game and create custom games aslong as they are not behind a firewall. I'm pretty sure that I'm that, therefore I don't understand why I can't host one, or invite friends for an "arranged team" game.

May be a stupid question but is your modem connected up to the PC your trying to host on?

Yes
N/A

Sounds to me like it's the windows firewall at fault here. You'll have to open up the ports wc3 requires on the firewall so others can see the server you're hosting.

Try looking at the following webpages:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308127

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Customizing-Windows-Firewall.html

That should explain how to open the ports you require, but you'll have to find out what the exact ports required are, and on what protocol (TCP, UDP, or both).

For total security, I would say that you should only open these incoming ports when hosting a game (i.e. Setup the open ports as described in one of the above links, and only tick the box to open them when hosting the game, then unticking the box afterwards to close them again until you next require them).

I know you could take the easy route, but I'd advise against just shutting the firewall down, and running on the net without one.

With the correct ports open, people should be able to connect to you, whether your IP is static or dynamic. If it's dynamic, all you need to do is tell them your IP beforehand.

Alternatively, you could register and use a dynamic domain naming service such as Dynamic DNS or Deerfield so that your friends will always use the one name to connect to you, regardless of your IP.