cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home network disconnects

N/A

Home network disconnects

Me and 'im indoors been playing an RTS game across our wired home network for some months, without any issues at all. Recently, there've been a number of times when I've got a screen telling me he's disconnected (and he thinks he's still playing ......or more likely has a frozen screen). Every time bar one, the connection has been restored (or whatever the proper techie term for it is!) and we've carried on with the game.

The only thing that's altered about our setup is that I changed my PC a few weeks back (it's noticeably a lot faster than his at loading up the game).

Neither of us has any internet connection problems; the network is set up exactly as it was before I changed my PC. I've tried some of the more obvious tests/pings etc and can't find any reason why this happens. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help?
2 REPLIES
N/A

hangs

Im assuming that you are hosting the game on your pc and he connects to that - is that correct ?

I would check what auto update and antivirus stuff is set up on your pc. Is it trying to contact microsoft or symantec or similar ? or antivirus checking or checking mail ? Any of these might cause a glitch to a network game.
N/A

Re: hangs

Im assuming that you are hosting the game on your pc and he connects to that - is that correct ?

Not necessarily ... we both need our DVD in in order to play, and it's pot luck which of us actually creates the game and which one joins it. The disconnect prob happens either way.

I would check what auto update and antivirus stuff is set up on your pc. Is it trying to contact microsoft or symantec or similar ? or antivirus checking or checking mail ? Any of these might cause a glitch to a network game.

I'm pretty sure that all those sorts of things are either set to "update on request only", or are scheduled, and we avoid playing at those times. But it's a good point and worth checking again.