cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping rate - any way to reduce?

Hoseman
Grafter

Hi there, I was wondering if there is any way of controlling my ping rate with the set up I have at present. Im using a USB modem and I keep getting knocked off a multiplayer game due the high ping rates I keep producing which is frustrating to say the least.

Any help appreciated. Smiley
4 REPLIES
N/A

lo,several things you can do,though if you are on dsl your connection should be quick enough as is.normal ping for inside uk should be around 30-50ms.if your more than that then chances are your suffering routing problems.type "command"in run,this will give you a dos type window in it type ping www.jolt.co.uk or some other uk based game server provider and hit return if you get 50 ish ping your connection should be ok,if you are more than that then type tracert www.jolt.co.uk in the same window.this will give you the route your connectionj is taking to that game server ,for this you are looking for 6-7 hops,each hop will have its own ping.a pci dsl modem is the fastest connection you will get between phone line and pc,usb will be slowest but the difference is at most very very tiny.if your connection is shared another pc downloading will affect your ping greatly.are the servers you are being kicked from uk based or in europe? some euro countries phone lines leave a lot to be desired,no matter how much we ridicule bt for uk lines they are still a lot better than most.
if you are on 56k only way to speed it up is to get adsl or cable at best you will ping around 180ms
vic_newey
Grafter

Are you getting ' connection prob warnings flash up ? I have been getting these sometimes, usually lasting 2 secs but once in a while it stays on & I get kicked off!

Joined some games recently & the second I was spawned , a kick player ( me ) appeared with six votes already cast! Other times an auto warning saying player ( me) 1st warning ping of 450 exceeds max 150 but when I look at ingame ping it shows 45 - 50.
I think something is momentarily snatching my bandwidth, I have disabled every ' auto updater' I can find on my PC, spybot keeps telling me that this & that wants to install & do I want to block etc.
I have often been playing online whilst downloading a large file at the same time & had no problem with lag etc. ( dsl 512)
check out spyware, auto updates etc is my advice
Hoseman
Grafter

Thanks guys, I do share it with another pc so does that explain it you think? What can I do to control it better? is switching the other pc off or disabling access a solution?
N/A

if there is downloading/uploading happening on the other pc you should be able to download a bandwidth throttle,i know winmx has one built into it but im unsure about other p2p programs.there are quite a few seperate throttle programs about if you do a search,i cant really help you with picking one as i havent used them.only way to get best possible ping though is to turn the other pc of,im on 1mb connection and with another pc running, using 50% of my bandwidth my ping is usually double.have you tried ping and tracerts? with just your pc running and then the other one as well.