cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half-Life 2

N/A

Half-Life 2

The first reviews of Half-Life 2 are coming in- 96% in PC Gamer UK! Previously the only games to attain a score this high were Half-Life, Quake 2 and Civilisation 2. Am I the only one who feels they will have a brain haemorrage from the sheer greatness of this game?
17 REPLIES
N/A

Half-Life 2

To be honest I just wish they'd bloody release it! lol.
N/A

Half-Life 2

Know what you mean lol, I'm sure it will be soon, Hopefully :roll:
N/A

Half-Life 2

slightly off topic but i just wish to point out that PC Gamer game Sims 2 92% wohoooooooo Cheesy

*runs off into the sunset to play god yet again with little pixelated people*
Firejack
Grafter

Half-Life 2

PC zone just gave HL2 97% :shock:
N/A

Half-Life 2

But when did you last see a game get under 90%?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Half-Life 2

They pay advertising so yeah the Reviews for the upcomming game is going to be good. So wait for a gaming sites review not a bought and paid for mag review, then you get the Real rating.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Half-Life 2

26th of november... WOOOO
N/A

Half-Life 2

Heh, I'm downloading CS:Source and HL2 now with my ATi voucher, then on the 26th it's automatically unlocked and I'm able to play away. Cheesy Cool
N/A

Half-Life 2

16th of November actually...
WOOOO
N/A

Half-Life 2

It rocks!!!!!

Only had a small play on counter strike.. want to finish game first.. but it just keeps calling me!!! :shock:

This game is gonna take some beating!!! thing is! i see nothing in the pipeline so far to do it... :roll: could be a long wait!
N/A

Half-Life 2

extremly dissapointed with half life 2 finished it in 3 days, it looks great plays amazing but its FAR TO SHORT!
N/A

Half-Life 2

Well I finished it in 3 days, but due to the superb graphics, the sheer atmosphere and story, I'll go through it again on the standard and tough modes. Given that the story ends the way it does, looks like we'll be seeing a sequel , and pretty soon too hopefully. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Half-Life 2

Same as old HL with all the old quirks.

• Jumping is still a pain especially if you are jumping to or from a moveable object, so the old slipper feel syndrome is still there.
  • Same old ladder problems, getting on or off at top and bottom is hit and miss. If trying to go down there is no action to grab the ladder, so end up dropping if not all the way down or partly before you finally grab the ladder.

Weapon balance needs tweaked, the basic pistol is once again the most useful weapon as the sub machine gun is spray and pray even at close range.

Graphics & General Game Speed

Here is where I felt cheated considering how badly it looks on medium settings. All the world textures are still just bitmapped textures, there is not one Bumbmap to be seen on any world texture. Ok weapons and skins look great but I prefer to be able to tell what dangerous items I am shooting near than see someone’s facial expression. e.g. exploding barrels, in one level you are in a hover craft fighting a helicopter, now if you hit those barrels you loose a lot of shield points, but at speed its very difficult to tell them apart from normal barrels.

So considering the lack of quality in the World textures it ran worse than I thought it would. I left it on the default Medium for about an hour, which makes the world textures Look shit. I then tried it on High, which helped with the world textures but then heavy stuttering started so had to go back.

AI & Physics

AI has mostly improved but still there are enemies that still come on no matter what you are firing. e.g. when using gun emplacements, they don't attempt to use grenades, just walk into the hail of bullets.

Physics

• Same Old HL walking on Ice feel, no control if stopping after a long jump
  • Destructible items that can’t be walked or jumped over, leaving you stuck and having to reload

Story Line
HL is also about the story line, which I can't go into with out spoiling it. However, it is a shameless Expansion pack game as it fell very short in game time and content.

My gaming specs for the E yard stick Brigadge

Barton 2600+ / ATI 9600 Pro / 512 DDR / SB Live
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Half-Life 2

in one level you are in a hover craft fighting a helicopter

I'm sorry but I find that comment amusing, considering you complain about lack of bumbmaps (sic) and use of bitmapped textures, you can't tell the difference between a catamaran style swamp boat and a hovercraft.

I won't comment on your complaint about weapons, suffice to say, I only found the lack of a snipers rifle annoying especially as the enemy forces used them. Other than that, and no stealth options, all was fine.

Jumping was definitely hit and miss, trying to climb onto crates when they were on unstable ground was almost imposible.

Never found one problem with getting stuck due to destructable items.

Finding 3 story buildings, with no access to the third floor, not even signs of blocked stairwells was annoying though.

However, as any game is subjective, and perfection beyond our ability to program, I still think its the best game I've played of its genre. Just too short, and although there are lots of places, most are not accessable for exploration.