cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP ! XBOX LIVE SET UP?!!

N/A

HELP ! XBOX LIVE SET UP?!!

I have signed up for the XBox Live package which arrived suprisingly after just three days! But i cannot connect my Ethernet Rj45 cable to my modem, the connection is wrong, does this mean that i know have to go and buy more stuff? Or am i just going about it in all the wrong way? Any ideas would be super!!
Cheers!
14 REPLIES
Delves
Grafter

RE: HELP ! XBOX LIVE SET UP?!!

Hi Neil

First off what modem have you got? If its the A360 supplied by +net it hasn't got an RJ45 port, only an RJ11 to connect to the BT and a USB to your PC so you can't connect the Xbox directly to the modem.

Check out the Xbox Live web site at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/intro.htm

They list a number of options for connection which are by a router, you'd need to buy on, Internet connection sharing, you hook up your Xbox to your PC via a networkcard and share the connection (what Operating sys are you using?), or direct connection to a modem, you would need to buy a new modem with an RJ45 port.

I went for a network card in my PC, it means I have to switch the PC on when I want to play but its no big deal and it saved me the cost of a router.

Hope this helps to start with, just ask again if you need more info, there's a few of us on +net playing XBL.

Regards

Dave (JJ The Avenger)

> I have signed up for the XBox Live package which arrived suprisingly after just three days! But i cannot connect my Ethernet Rj45 cable to my modem, the connection is wrong, does this mean that i know have to go and buy more stuff? Or am i just going about it in all the wrong way? Any ideas would be super!!
> Cheers!

N/A

> Hi Neil
>
> First off what modem have you got? If its the A360 supplied by +net it hasn't got an RJ45 port, only an RJ11 to connect to the BT and a USB to your PC so you can't connect the Xbox directly to the modem.
>
> Check out the Xbox Live web site at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/intro.htm
>
> They list a number of options for connection which are by a router, you'd need to buy on, Internet connection sharing, you hook up your Xbox to your PC via a networkcard and share the connection (what Operating sys are you using?), or direct connection to a modem, you would need to buy a new modem with an RJ45 port.
>
> I went for a network card in my PC, it means I have to switch the PC on when I want to play but its no big deal and it saved me the cost of a router.
>
> Hope this helps to start with, just ask again if you need more info, there's a few of us on +net playing XBL.
>
> Regards
>
> Dave (JJ The Avenger)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > I have signed up for the XBox Live package which arrived suprisingly after just three days! But i cannot connect my Ethernet Rj45 cable to my modem, the connection is wrong, does this mean that i know have to go and buy more stuff? Or am i just going about it in all the wrong way? Any ideas would be super!!
> > Cheers!
>
> Dave,
Thanks for replying! I have a Dynamode Modem supplied by plusnet with my package. I am running Windows XP on a Laptop (if this makes any difference?) I am not that good with Computer stuff so basically i want what is easiest and quickest so i can get on-line and start Killing! I was hoping that i could use the X-Box directly or connect to my Laptop as well so i can run Gameserver as well.
I think i may just have to buy a new modem with the RJ45 connection on it? Would this affect Plusnet?
Thanks for your help, keep it coming!!!
Cheers
Neil

N/A

> > Hi Neil
> >
> > First off what modem have you got? If its the A360 supplied by +net it hasn't got an RJ45 port, only an RJ11 to connect to the BT and a USB to your PC so you can't connect the Xbox directly to the modem.
> >
> > Check out the Xbox Live web site at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/intro.htm
> >
> > They list a number of options for connection which are by a router, you'd need to buy on, Internet connection sharing, you hook up your Xbox to your PC via a networkcard and share the connection (what Operating sys are you using?), or direct connection to a modem, you would need to buy a new modem with an RJ45 port.
> >
> > I went for a network card in my PC, it means I have to switch the PC on when I want to play but its no big deal and it saved me the cost of a router.
> >
> > Hope this helps to start with, just ask again if you need more info, there's a few of us on +net playing XBL.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Dave (JJ The Avenger)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > I have signed up for the XBox Live package which arrived suprisingly after just three days! But i cannot connect my Ethernet Rj45 cable to my modem, the connection is wrong, does this mean that i know have to go and buy more stuff? Or am i just going about it in all the wrong way? Any ideas would be super!!
> > > Cheers!
> >
> > Dave,
> Thanks for replying! I have a Dynamode Modem supplied by plusnet with my package. I am running Windows XP on a Laptop (if this makes any difference?) I am not that good with Computer stuff so basically i want what is easiest and quickest so i can get on-line and start Killing! I was hoping that i could use the X-Box directly or connect to my Laptop as well so i can run Gameserver as well.
> I think i may just have to buy a new modem with the RJ45 connection on it? Would this affect Plusnet?
> Thanks for your help, keep it coming!!!
> Cheers
> Neil
>
> hi neil do u have a network port on your laptop if so just plug it in there!!
if not youll have to get a router i'm afraid..
dont forget u need a crossover cable not a straiaght through one ! i made this mistake.

hope u get it going it really is the bollix.
p.s my tag name is cloudvsquall look me up if u get it going.

Delves
Grafter

As Mark says, find out if your laptop has a built in network card, RJ45 port somewhere. If not I'm sure you laptop will have a couple of PCMCIA card slots. You could buy a PCMCIA network card and setup Internet connection sharing via a crossover cable. You could then setup your laptop to a games server and Xbox to XBL.

If it sound sto complicated then buying a Modem with a RJ45 port on would allow you to connect your Xbox directly, but you would then need a router or network card if you wanted to run both machines.

regards

Dave

> > > Hi Neil
> > >
> > > First off what modem have you got? If its the A360 supplied by +net it hasn't got an RJ45 port, only an RJ11 to connect to the BT and a USB to your PC so you can't connect the Xbox directly to the modem.
> > >
> > > Check out the Xbox Live web site at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/intro.htm
> > >
> > > They list a number of options for connection which are by a router, you'd need to buy on, Internet connection sharing, you hook up your Xbox to your PC via a networkcard and share the connection (what Operating sys are you using?), or direct connection to a modem, you would need to buy a new modem with an RJ45 port.
> > >
> > > I went for a network card in my PC, it means I have to switch the PC on when I want to play but its no big deal and it saved me the cost of a router.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps to start with, just ask again if you need more info, there's a few of us on +net playing XBL.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Dave (JJ The Avenger)
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > I have signed up for the XBox Live package which arrived suprisingly after just three days! But i cannot connect my Ethernet Rj45 cable to my modem, the connection is wrong, does this mean that i know have to go and buy more stuff? Or am i just going about it in all the wrong way? Any ideas would be super!!
> > > > Cheers!
> > >
> > > Dave,
> > Thanks for replying! I have a Dynamode Modem supplied by plusnet with my package. I am running Windows XP on a Laptop (if this makes any difference?) I am not that good with Computer stuff so basically i want what is easiest and quickest so i can get on-line and start Killing! I was hoping that i could use the X-Box directly or connect to my Laptop as well so i can run Gameserver as well.
> > I think i may just have to buy a new modem with the RJ45 connection on it? Would this affect Plusnet?
> > Thanks for your help, keep it coming!!!
> > Cheers
> > Neil
> >
> > hi neil do u have a network port on your laptop if so just plug it in there!!
> if not youll have to get a router i'm afraid..
> dont forget u need a crossover cable not a straiaght through one ! i made this mistake.
>
> hope u get it going it really is the bollix.
> p.s my tag name is cloudvsquall look me up if u get it going.
>
>

N/A

> As Mark says, find out if your laptop has a built in network card, RJ45 port somewhere. If not I'm sure you laptop will have a couple of PCMCIA card slots. You could buy a PCMCIA network card and setup Internet connection sharing via a crossover cable. You could then setup your laptop to a games server and Xbox to XBL.
>
> If it sound sto complicated then buying a Modem with a RJ45 port on would allow you to connect your Xbox directly, but you would then need a router or network card if you wanted to run both machines.
>
> regards
>
> Dave
>
> > > > Hi Neil
> > > >
> > > > First off what modem have you got? If its the A360 supplied by +net it hasn't got an RJ45 port, only an RJ11 to connect to the BT and a USB to your PC so you can't connect the Xbox directly to the modem.
> > > >
> > > > Check out the Xbox Live web site at http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/intro.htm
> > > >
> > > > They list a number of options for connection which are by a router, you'd need to buy on, Internet connection sharing, you hook up your Xbox to your PC via a networkcard and share the connection (what Operating sys are you using?), or direct connection to a modem, you would need to buy a new modem with an RJ45 port.
> > > >
> > > > I went for a network card in my PC, it means I have to switch the PC on when I want to play but its no big deal and it saved me the cost of a router.
> > > >
> > > > Hope this helps to start with, just ask again if you need more info, there's a few of us on +net playing XBL.
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > >
> > > > Dave (JJ The Avenger)
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > I have signed up for the XBox Live package which arrived suprisingly after just three days! But i cannot connect my Ethernet Rj45 cable to my modem, the connection is wrong, does this mean that i know have to go and buy more stuff? Or am i just going about it in all the wrong way? Any ideas would be super!!
> > > > > Cheers!
> > > >
> > > > Dave,
> > > Thanks for replying! I have a Dynamode Modem supplied by plusnet with my package. I am running Windows XP on a Laptop (if this makes any difference?) I am not that good with Computer stuff so basically i want what is easiest and quickest so i can get on-line and start Killing! I was hoping that i could use the X-Box directly or connect to my Laptop as well so i can run Gameserver as well.
> > > I think i may just have to buy a new modem with the RJ45 connection on it? Would this affect Plusnet?
> > > Thanks for your help, keep it coming!!!
> > > Cheers
> > > Neil
> > >
> > > hi neil do u have a network port on your laptop if so just plug it in there!!
> > if not youll have to get a router i'm afraid..
> > dont forget u need a crossover cable not a straiaght through one ! i made this mistake.
> >
> > hope u get it going it really is the bollix.
> > p.s my tag name is cloudvsquall look me up if u get it going.
> >
> >
>
> Hi !
thanks for all your help guys!
Yes i have a network connection on my Laptop i never even thought of that!! When you say Crossover
cable do you mean a System Link cable? Like to link to X Boxes together, if so i should have no trouble getting one of those! If that is the case do i need to configure anything else or will it just be a case of switch on and start playing! Lets hope so!
Thanks again guys much appreciated!
Cheers
Neil

Delves
Grafter

A crossover cable is a networking cable to connect to PC's together directly, not through a hub or switch. I think an Xbox syslink cable will do.

You need to setup Internet Connection Sharing for your adsl connection, once done you should be up and running.

Do you use your laptop to connect to a works network, If so I'm not sure what ICS will do as it usualy sets you IP address for you.

If you dont bring up your network connection's and open the properties for the Wip Tech Dial Up connection. On the advanced tab put a tick in the first two check boxes of ICS and follow the wizard.

I'd create a restore point in XP before you do this so you can recover your system should anything go wrong.

Once your done there's on last thing to do, if your running a firewall you will need to open some ports, have a look here

http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/howto/pc.htm
http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/howto/pctrouble.htm

look at the section, Connect Status Error Message: DNS Not Resolved, this list the port to open for the fire wall.

If you are stuck the Xbox live team are quite good and its a free phone number I think.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave

> > Hi !
> thanks for all your help guys!
> Yes i have a network connection on my Laptop i never even thought of that!! When you say Crossover
> cable do you mean a System Link cable? Like to link to X Boxes together, if so i should have no trouble getting one of those! If that is the case do i need to configure anything else or will it just be a case of switch on and start playing! Lets hope so!
> Thanks again guys much appreciated!
> Cheers
> Neil
>
>

N/A

> A crossover cable is a networking cable to connect to PC's together directly, not through a hub or switch. I think an Xbox syslink cable will do.
>
> You need to setup Internet Connection Sharing for your adsl connection, once done you should be up and running.
>
> Do you use your laptop to connect to a works network, If so I'm not sure what ICS will do as it usualy sets you IP address for you.
>
> If you dont bring up your network connection's and open the properties for the Wip Tech Dial Up connection. On the advanced tab put a tick in the first two check boxes of ICS and follow the wizard.
>
> I'd create a restore point in XP before you do this so you can recover your system should anything go wrong.
>
> Once your done there's on last thing to do, if your running a firewall you will need to open some ports, have a look here
>
> http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/howto/pc.htm
> http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/howto/pctrouble.htm
>
> look at the section, Connect Status Error Message: DNS Not Resolved, this list the port to open for the fire wall.
>
> If you are stuck the Xbox live team are quite good and its a free phone number I think.
>
> Let us know how you get on.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> > > Hi !
> > thanks for all your help guys!
> > Yes i have a network connection on my Laptop i never even thought of that!! When you say Crossover
> > cable do you mean a System Link cable? Like to link to X Boxes together, if so i should have no trouble getting one of those! If that is the case do i need to configure anything else or will it just be a case of switch on and start playing! Lets hope so!
> > Thanks again guys much appreciated!
> > Cheers
> > Neil
> >
> >
>
>

Hi Guys ,
Thanks for your help but i am still no further forward ! I cannot connect to the X-Box, it recognises that the cables are connected but it cannot get any further and gets stuck on the IP address bit? I have rung XBox, Compaq and Microsoft and Plusnet but to no avail! No one will help, they all pass the buck saying it isnt anything to do with them!! I tried the Internet connection thing but it doesnt seem to have done a thing!! I think i may just buy a new Modem with an RJ45 connection on it.
Thanks once again!
Delves
Grafter

Hold on Neil

Before you go and buy anything else how far have you got. Did you get ICS setup on your laptop? if so you shpuld be able to go to your network card properties and check the properties for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). They should be 192.168.0.1. If not then ICS isn't ok.

If that's Ok then the only thinh I think could be causing a problem is the cable between. The Xbox isn't visable on the network but when you run through the dashboard configuration your laptop, if connected ok, should allocate it an IP address. You say you don't get that so double check ICS and the cable and try again.

Dont give up

Have a look here for ICS details

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/networking/ics.asp

Regards

Dave

> Thanks for your help but i am still no further forward ! I cannot connect to the X-Box, it recognises that the cables are connected but it cannot get any further and gets stuck on the IP address bit? I have rung XBox, Compaq and Microsoft and Plusnet but to no avail! No one will help, they all pass the buck saying it isnt anything to do with them!! I tried the Internet connection thing but it doesnt seem to have done a thing!! I think i may just buy a new Modem with an RJ45 connection on it.
> Thanks once again!
>

N/A

niel, dj 's right dont give up and fork out for new gear youve probably not setup your network properley get someone u know and ask them for assistance through xp (remote assistance) (do u have a firewall installed this could also be a problem if u hav'nt configured it correctley?
N/A

> niel, dj 's right dont give up and fork out for new gear youve probably not setup your network properley get someone u know and ask them for assistance through xp (remote assistance) (do u have a firewall installed this could also be a problem if u hav'nt configured it correctley?

Thanks Guys!
My Laptop is well and truly knackered now! The sound has gone weird as well now and everytime i try to sort out the ICS i have to unistall then reinstall the modem software as it will not re-connect me to anything! I seem to have loads of different network settings to choose from as well i was trying to configure the Wiptech one but that is under the dial-up properties rather than the Lan or high speed settings should it not be one of those? Also when i went through the setup wizard it says that this will take a few minutes and i left it over an hour and it never finished, i have unistalled it and tried again to no avail so i dont know if the Network bridge that is now there is ok? oh and now i get a Microsoft serious error message everytime i boot up my Laptop and i cannot get rid of it!! It is also really slow now on the internet like being back on a 56k dial up!!
I think its time for the recovery disc!!! I love technology!!
Any other ideas apart from the Recovery Disc option? Its drastic i know but i cant think of what else to do now i have gone and broke it i think!!!
thanks again!
Delves
Grafter

Don't know what to suggest Neil. The WipTech does come under dialup properties that's correct and yes this is the connection to setup ICS on. I did have a problem the first time I ran the wizard so I uninstalled the modem and started again and all worked Ok. I had no probs with anything else though.

I know it can be quite a problem if your not a techie and just use your PC how its supposed to.

Time to call on a friend if you can. Its hard to say what to do without seeing the machine.

Let us know how you get on.

> > niel, dj 's right dont give up and fork out for new gear youve probably not setup your network properley get someone u know and ask them for assistance through xp (remote assistance) (do u have a firewall installed this could also be a problem if u hav'nt configured it correctley?
>
> Thanks Guys!
> My Laptop is well and truly knackered now! The sound has gone weird as well now and everytime i try to sort out the ICS i have to unistall then reinstall the modem software as it will not re-connect me to anything! I seem to have loads of different network settings to choose from as well i was trying to configure the Wiptech one but that is under the dial-up properties rather than the Lan or high speed settings should it not be one of those? Also when i went through the setup wizard it says that this will take a few minutes and i left it over an hour and it never finished, i have unistalled it and tried again to no avail so i dont know if the Network bridge that is now there is ok? oh and now i get a Microsoft serious error message everytime i boot up my Laptop and i cannot get rid of it!! It is also really slow now on the internet like being back on a 56k dial up!!
> I think its time for the recovery disc!!! I love technology!!
> Any other ideas apart from the Recovery Disc option? Its drastic i know but i cant think of what else to do now i have gone and broke it i think!!!
> thanks again!

N/A

> Don't know what to suggest Neil. The WipTech does come under dialup properties that's correct and yes this is the connection to setup ICS on. I did have a problem the first time I ran the wizard so I uninstalled the modem and started again and all worked Ok. I had no probs with anything else though.
>
> I know it can be quite a problem if your not a techie and just use your PC how its supposed to.
>
> Time to call on a friend if you can. Its hard to say what to do without seeing the machine.
>
> Let us know how you get on.
>
> > > niel, dj 's right dont give up and fork out for new gear youve probably not setup your network properley get someone u know and ask them for assistance through xp (remote assistance) (do u have a firewall installed this could also be a problem if u hav'nt configured it correctley?
> >
> > Thanks Guys!
> > My Laptop is well and truly knackered now! The sound has gone weird as well now and everytime i try to sort out the ICS i have to unistall then reinstall the modem software as it will not re-connect me to anything! I seem to have loads of different network settings to choose from as well i was trying to configure the Wiptech one but that is under the dial-up properties rather than the Lan or high speed settings should it not be one of those? Also when i went through the setup wizard it says that this will take a few minutes and i left it over an hour and it never finished, i have unistalled it and tried again to no avail so i dont know if the Network bridge that is now there is ok? oh and now i get a Microsoft serious error message everytime i boot up my Laptop and i cannot get rid of it!! It is also really slow now on the internet like being back on a 56k dial up!!
> > I think its time for the recovery disc!!! I love technology!!
> > Any other ideas apart from the Recovery Disc option? Its drastic i know but i cant think of what else to do now i have gone and broke it i think!!!
> > thanks again!
>
> Just a quick word guys!
thanks to both of you for offering me some much needed advice it is much appreciated!
In the end i had to run the recovery disc which i didnt want to do but i had no choice , i did that and to my amazement i managed to connect to X Box Live first time so i am part of the Live Gamg now and very happy too!! I havent played a lot yet but i am looking forward to a bit of Ghost Recon, my screename is Sooper if you are ever on the same game .
thanks once again
see ya around maybe!
Cheers!

Delves
Grafter

Good to hear your up and running. I'm on Mech Assault most of the time but I hear GR is good on line
N/A

guys, i hope u dont mind me asking, but are you still on XBL beta? official launch wont be until spring right?

since Neil just got his last month, can i still get one now, even if the launch is almost here?

thanks a bucnh!! cheers!

> Good to hear your up and running. I'm on Mech Assault most of the time but I hear GR is good on line