cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics cards ?

N/A

Graphics cards ?

I'm looking to buy a new graphics card for the upcoming Half Life 2 but don't want to go silly with the cost. I want to spend around about the £200 mark.

Any suggestions ?
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Graphics cards ?

Always get the best you can afford, but your £200 limits you to the standard Nvidia FX5900 or ATI 9800, so not enough for a pro/ultra version by around £50-70.

So unless you want to wait until you have enough to get the ultra/Pro versions, then look at a stop gap card for around £130-50 FX9600 Ultra or a ATI 9600 Pro. Which is what I'm doing next week, personally getting a 9600 Pro.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Couger
Grafter

Graphics cards ?

Get a ATi m8

Im running ATI 9700 Pro and it rocks

Dont touch Nividia as there cards arent as fast and its been proven in benchmarks

OH yeah ATI all the way baby lol :lol:

Cheers Sven

Just out of interest where are you thinking of buying this card from ?
May be able to help Cheesy
N/A

Cheers

Cheers for the advice peeps.

I'm thinking I might add the xtra cash and get the 9800XT.

Sod the bank balance. :twisted:
Couger
Grafter

Graphics cards ?

hey dude get the 9800XT i just read reviews on it tonight and have ordered it

Its a sweet as card and kicks all nvidia cards butts with style

Cheers Sven
N/A

Graphics cards ?

Yes, but there isn't an architecture (sp?) change to it, so essentially it's STILL just a 9800. I'd wait a while till about March-ish and get a newer card with a newer chipset if I were you
Couger
Grafter

Graphics cards ?

Hi

May i ask what gfx card you have?

Yes, but there isn't an architecture (sp?) change to it, so essentially it's STILL just a 9800. I'd wait a while till about March-ish and get a newer card with a newer chipset if I were you

Lol I Think you should check your information out first

1. The 9800 XT has a new core, the R360. the XT should OC higher than the 9800 considering the 9800 OC'ed much higher than the 9700 and they are different cores also (R350 for 9800, R300 for 9700)

2. The core and memory speeds have been clocked higher thanks to better PCB design and a newer more aggressive thermal solution. Hardware monitoring has been added that is bringing forth a new feature that will allow dynamic overclocking. Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering image quality are still the best in the market while delivering the best performance currently. The same DX9 feature set compliance of the 9800Pro with its even now faster shader engine is present as well.

3. If you want the absolute best gameplay experience the 9800XT is the card for you no question. The 5900 Ultra may be able to produce the same image quality in-game, but to really enjoy it you need the performance as well and the Radeon 9800XT delivers where the current NVIDIA 5900 GPU product simply does not. The 9800XT does give a sizeable lead even over the 9800Pro, especially at 1600x1200 where it has huge gains that can be credited to the larger memory onboard.

In UT2003 the Radeon 9800XT also shows gains when AA and AF are enabled. The 5900 Ultra is around 9800Pro performance but the 9800XT is able to take the lead across all quality settings while undoubtedly delivery a better image quality, although that may not positively impact actual gameplay.

The ATI Radeon 9800XT takes a commanding performance lead over the NVIDIA 5900 Ultra in Splinter Cell. Though none of the cards were able to surpass a minimum FPS of 30. The 9800XT comes close, but just can’t top it. The 9800XT also shows a lead over its predecessor providing higher minimum FPS. In fact the 9800XT is very playable at 4XAA/8XAF at 1024x768. As the resolution increases so does the graphics strain, but the 9800XT is still able to maintain the lead. The fact of the matter is that the 9800XT has the ability to deliver a much better overall gaming experience playing Splinter Cell than any other video card we have experienced.

so with all that in context it is worth while buying a 9800XT as i have put it this way i wouldnt have bought it if i wasnt going to see any gain which im sure i will !!!

Thanks Sven
N/A

Graphics cards ?

wow some1 knows his stuff
N/A

Graphics card for Half Life.

Best advise I can give is wait until the game is actually released. Looks like set to be released for April 2004 but could change. You may find that the top cards from both nvidia and ATI now will be at a price to suit your pocket by then. As new cards will be out.

I run a Asus 9560TD and this runs any game at full whack at the moment.
However to ensure a good games PC you also need a
fast processor, lots and lots of memory and a clean OS.

But first of all make sure your graphics card driver is upto date and clean as well.

Also note that Valve have said that the game will run on a fairly low spec machine, so as to not alienate a section of the market.
I will be getting a nvidia fx5900 256MB in the spring. should be about £200 then.
N/A

Graphics cards ?

There is in one of the current pc mags an article that advises the 128MB ATI 3D Prophet All in Wonder 9800SE RTL (Hercules) can be turned into the pro about 90% of the time. I think the mag is something like pczone or pcgamer.

This card is available for £164.76 from http://www.cclcomputers.biz/acatalog/
Delves
Grafter

Graphics cards ?

There's talk that this game will be bundled with one of the new graphics cards, Gamesville reported it I think, I saw it on TV bit just can't quite remember which manufacturer it was.
N/A

Graphics cards ?

yea its half-life 2 with a asus card as well as a sapphire 9600xt / 9800xt
N/A

Graphics cards ?

I would say go for a radeon 9800 pro off ebay, ive seen em for around the £150 mark brand new, this card will almost definately get 60+ fps in half life 2 and will play any other game currently on the market as smooth as you like. I wouldnt recommend waiting for a new card as those will amost certainly be very expensive and overpriced. I have had a 9700 pro for ages and its still running sweet.

Dont waste your money getting an XT, they are overpriced and the extra performance u get is defintaly not worth the extra cash.
michaelscott
Grafter

Graphics cards ?

plz dont hark up old threads
N/A

Graphics cards ?

I have the Hecules AIW 9800 se, which you can softmod to a full 9800 pro - cost £120-140. I get 5390 3d marks with the mod (slow processor -2200).

The 9700 pro is faster than the 9600pro and the plain 9800, but very rare (read impossible).

Avoid the Nvidia lower end as they are slower than even DirectX 8 cards.

The 9600 xt is a nice card IF you have the cooling. Also this is a development deadend that will be suppassed mid this year. The only real reason to buy one is if you have UBER cooling and can seriously overclock it using the supplied applicaiton.