cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card confusion ...

N/A

Hope someone here can help me please!

I've acquired a really nice PC and a super-duper monitor but want to upgrade the graphics card and I am soooo confused.

The installed card is a nVidia 6200SE turbo cache, PCI, in a PC with AMD 64 3700 chip, 1Gb RAM. It's OK - I don't play that many games - but I'm looking for a noticeable increase in performance from the ATI Radeon 9250 I had in my old m/c. My partner has an old nVidia 4 series card in his PC, and he can play the samne games at higher resolutions than I can .... really hacks me off ;-)

There seems to be a much more limited range of PCI cards than PCI-E cards, unless I'm looking in the wrong places, which should make choosing easier, but it hasn't Sad

The game I play most is BFME (and looking forward to BFME2!!)

Any suggestions for a suitable card that's reasonably priced?
9 REPLIES
N/A

The 6200 isnt a gamers card, its probably poor at any resolution.

Does your motherboad have a PCI-E slot?
What resolution would you like to play at?
Whats your budget?
N/A

PCI and PCI Express are two totally differnt slots. Every motherboard these days takes PCI, whereas PCI-E requires a motherboard designed to take it.

Whats your budget?
Are you after PCI or PCI-E?

For a low budget you really should be looking second hand if you want performance. To get anything that can run a recent game respectibly your looking at at least a Ati 9700pro, or nvidia equivalent.

6200s and 9250s etc are the bottom of the barrel, and unless your playing pacman you havent got a chance at running much. The Geforce 4 Ti4*** series are decent range too considering you can pick them up for about £15-20 now, but they wont work on Battlefield 2 due to their version of pixel shader.
N/A

According to the spec, it has 1 x PCI-E and 3 x PCI slots (but I guess I should take the back off to make absolutely certain!)

The 6200 lets me play BFME at up to 1152 x 864 on Medium detail. I'd like to get that up to High detail without it meaning my troops move as if they're wading through treacle! Would I get that with an nVidia 6600-series card, or a Radeon X800? They're available for around £100 or a bit less as I don't really want to spend much more than that.
N/A

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600_GT.html

The top one is a good card for the price if your wanting new. Should run everything you throw at it alright. It will blitz older games and will run new stuff on medium settings in most cases.

Atis closest competitor to that card in PCI-E format is £120ish with the X800GT
N/A

Def go for a PCI-Express card if your mobo has the slot.

I would not get a 6600 series card as there are now better offerings from ATI in the same budget range. An x800 as you have mentioned or even a nVidia 6800 series card will do the trick.

Both those cards will allow you to add a bit of eye candy to your games at nice resolutions too!

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)

This card can be had for around £100-£129.

Or

XFX GeForce 6800 256MB DDR TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Ive seen this for around £125

Out of the two, if you can stretch that little bit more i would go for the x800.
N/A

Many thanks, redesdale & paco2k5, for your advice.

A-shopping I will go Smiley
N/A

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)

This card can be had for around £100-£129.

check out MicroDirect and get the GTO2 version, its £30 more but it can be safely overclocked (its pretty much designed for this purpose) to be the same spec as THE top end ATi (aside from the uber x1800 series that has just come out). Its forking amazing! I've got HL2 running with everything cranked up with no probs.

Check out this post on the elderscrolls forum, its WAY helpful to gauge your PGU!

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171914
N/A

check out MicroDirect and get the GTO2 version, its £30 more but it can be safely overclocked (its pretty much designed for this purpose)

Yep aggree, the GTO2 is moddable its pipes can be fully unlocked from 12 to 16 and the core speed can be massivley increased. Its very easy to do and dosent take much time but is not allways guaranteed to work.

Check this thread:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5632728#post5632728
N/A

Yep! When I get a moment I'm gonna do that. See how things ride... seem to remember that CounterStrike has a video stress test on it so will use that to see how things run. With the lowest AA/AF on, it hit something like 100fps.