cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game Pings all over the place.

N/A

Has anything within plusnets network changed in the past month or so?

When I first signed up, I was acheived a rock solid 31 ping on my favourite Raven Shield server, but now it is anywhere 30 to 390? and it bounces all over the place. it is normally around 50 and only spikes between rounds but the latency due to packet loss is making gameplay very difficult.
Other players I know on different ISPs who frequent the same servers do not have this problem and still have pings around the 31 mark as normal.
I have already replied / run the traceroute test / feedback thread.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the effects in the meantime before the problem is resolved? Changing my netspeed seems to make little or no difference...

Jamin
15 REPLIES
N/A

CS

I too have the same problem with Counterstrike. Where I was getting solid 30-40 pings last month, suddenly my ping is ranging from 60 - 198 and is making it unplayable.

Any ideas would be much appreciated
N/A

I've been experiencing exactly the same problems in the last couple of weeks with UT2004. Packet loss will suddenly jump up to over 800 in/out but maintain a consistent ping of 40...

Very disappointing.

N.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

If there is a problem in our network that is causing this then we want to find out what is causing it. If you are having problems then can you use WinMTR to run an extended ping to the server is question (when the server is empty if possible to reduce the effect that the actual game server will have on the results) and post the results here.

This will show us where in the route to the server the problem are occuring.

Regards,
N/A

Just downloaded that WinMTR thing now.

Though I thought I would add, that I have noticed the same thing with UT2004 recently, on local servers like jolt, one second I will have a ping of like 18, and the next it's 900 or something, strange.
N/A

hi
i am getting same problem as well i used to get steady 25 ping but now its a constant 50 and above i hacve persued this with plusnet but they dont want to know saying your ping is acceptible well to me its not they have definately altered something on thier server network
and i will be going for another provider unless the fault is found
it is not aseptible to me 1 meg home worker on 20-1 connection paying a lot for a service thats not how it was when i first started

by the way i play mohaa server ip is 212.42.16.16:35670
thats the server i own plus others

think people need to put thier protests in this post as it needs sorting for us gammers
we know the diffrence of a 50 + much harder to play the game
and we might aswell live in sweden with a ping that high
N/A

Dozer, again, please refrain from making comments you as from your previous posts, you do not seem qualified enough to proove them.

As per all other messages on your issue, it sugests problems in the BT network, which would affect any ISP you chose, and not just PlusNet.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

We actually prioritise games based traffic through our network in order to reduce latency so people should see good connections and we have certainly not seen an overall increase in ping times.

The problem with faults of this nature is that more often than not it is down to something local or something in BT's network. You can obviously eliminate local problems with a bit of testing but BT will not accept a fault based purely on ping times. Unless you see other side effects (speed problems, packetloss) they will not even look at it.

Regards,
N/A

I think you are right that the problem is not to do with plus net.

As friends of mine on other networks have been having identical problems.

I have been having some packet loss, not much though.

The problem could be down to unusual internet traffic or anything.

Over the last week or so there has been an unusually high amount of port scan's and pinging on port's 135 and 445, according to my firewall logs.

Again I am not the only one seeing this.
N/A

hi all iam geting same problem started about a week or so ago ping are going mad all over the place big time i dont have a virus and just formated pc,this is madness i have spoke to other peoeple with adsl and they are fine so it must be something down to plusnet i think u need to look in to this plusnet and sort it out as your loose a lot of customers big time,we are paying for adls not 56k plusnet i cant play no online games at all cs goes mad ping all over place in the hundreds sometimes 2oo hundreds can u pls sort this out before it goes alot further
thank u mr long
Community Veteran

Just saying I have a ping problem without giving any details as to where you are connecting and what ping values you are getting will mean no-one will be able to help you.

Can you post IPs and names of servers you connect to.

Can you post example ping times to that server to back up your complaint.

Try running and posting the results of WinMTR (see earlier post for a link) to the servers you connect too for at least 5 mins to show what the averages, max and min ping times you are getting. This will also show if it's PlusNet or some other network that is causing the problem.

As said above, if it's not PlusNets problem (i.e. pings within PlusNet are normal) then there is nothing PlusNet can do about it.
N/A

Well my pings have improved a lot recently, I was playing last night on UK servers and was getting pings of 16 to 30.

So that is a big improvement over here.
N/A

Am having a Ping problem to !! like playing counter-strike use to get a ping around 30 - / +. BUT some silly reason getting 500/600+ ping what the hell going onHuh?

i did connection text to check my speed, these are the results:

before started CS getting speed of 476.90kps But soon connect (that's if they do kick me bec being to slow would u belive it !!!) CS can not play it, bec ping to high. so quit check my speed on here again and get 234kpsHuh what going on ? any one no ??

i do not have any other programs running in the background plus nothing to do with my firewall or AV.
Firejack
Grafter

Chris,
You need to take the advice Peter put in his post above yours in this thread. It is impossible to diagnose a problem if you don't post any factual technical information on the subject. Speed tests don't really help when analyzing ping related problems. WinMTR is MUCH more helpful.

I am having no problems with the Plusnet network and I'm a more hardcore player then most on these boards and regularly check pings for games.
N/A

I have a 1mb connection and have had worst pings since i upgraded from the 512k package.A friend of mine as a 1mb connection with Bt and gets at least half my ping with his connection.Ive tried all my hardware on his connection and its perfect.Must be summat plus-nets side.