Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding it impossible to playonline with ADSL

N/A

Finding it impossible to playonline with ADSL

Hi,

As there's no 'gaming on ADSL' page, forgive my ranting here:

Since being activated Mon 4th Nov, I have enjoyed reasonable connection to Plus Net's ADSL, dl speeds good, webpage access acceptable.

However, any and all gaming will not work. I have tried all of the following:
Counterstrike
Day of Defeat
Q3A
Jedi Knight II
Diablo II

Appreciate that CS & DoD are basically the same exceutabel, as with Q3A & JKII, but even so, I should not be getting a computer that either hangs or throws me out of each & every server with messages about packet error or CL_parse error or some such.

Diablo II does work, for a variable time (up to 15 mins sometimes) and then my connection is mysteriously 'interrupted'.

Having raised a ticket, and mindful of the ADSL packet loss issues this week, I was frustrated but willing to wait for a fix.

Well, unsurprisingly, tonight has been *no different*. Same errors, same frustration.

I've raised another ticket, which will doubtless be fobbed off, as was the last one.

Worth knowing that I've played these same games on the same hardware on BT Broadband, back when I had it, and have tonight connected on my old dial up, just to prove that it's not the games themselves. CS ran quite happily.

So, does anyone have any ideas, suggestions etc. If there's some particular network setting that PlusNet seems to need, please let me know about it, or I'll have to go elsewhere...
5 REPLIES
espresso_mick
Grafter

RE: Finding it impossible to playonline with ADSL

I play Counterstrike mostly. I find the UK2/Cyborg servers are the best for me. The following is a link to a list of their servers.

http://cyborg2.com/iplist.php

With the games, there are lots of tweaks you can do to improve online performance. The following are the main tweaks you should adjust. You type these into the console within the game.

rate 7000
cl_latency -50
cl_updaterate 40
cl_cmdrate 40

This is a link to an online guide for lots of other adjustments you can do.

Hope this was of some help.

Mick
N/A

Update for anyone reading (maybe even support?) - my ticket is still open, I have been told that 'someone who knows more about gaming will look at this'.

That was on the 9th.

I have waited 3 working days, and have now added a note requesting an update, even if it's just confirmation of who is now investigating.

The fact that it affects every game environment I try means that I doubt the tweaks suggested by Mick (thanks, tho') for one game are what will make a difference.

I'm too disheartened to even try most of the time. Mainly because I end up having to bl**dy reboot.

I am not toally closed to the idea that it's my own windows/modem/network config that may cause issues, but they worked fine on BT Broadband, and haven't really changed.

Oh well, going to try another on-line game, wish me luck. My hand stands ready by the reset button...

espresso_mick
Grafter

Those tweaks were just for CS & Half Life and I made them even though my connection is fine. It just makes the game run even better.

I started playing Medal of Honour online today using Gamespy and a few different UK servers, it was fine, no connection or speed probs.

Are you having general speed problems with the internet? (websites etc). There are a few other people it seems, that are or have had speed/connection problems. I've been wondering if it's something to do with the route people take to connect with +net (telephone exchanges etc).

N/A

> Are you having general speed problems with the internet? (websites etc). There are a few other people it seems, that are or have had speed/connection problems. I've been wondering if it's something to do with the route people take to connect with +net (telephone exchanges etc).
>
>

No, that's the bizarre thing - my connection speeds to web & downloads are both fine. I'm not using upload.

So, the ADSL seems to deliver the throughput, just that the data transfer needed for gaming seems to be FUBAR.

After tweaking MTU & RWIN for the first time ever, found that CS would not connect to any server at all. Later, when I tried it, I got the same old hang as before.

Bizarrely though, I tried Battlezone II at random, and it worked just fine! Thing is, it's not that CS is 'wrong', because it works for everyone else on ADSL, worked for me before on BT BB, and I have totally reinstalled CS & HL just to be sure - still no joy.

So, still seems to be a network config problem tween me & Plusnet.

And my ticket still hasn't been touched since the 9th. I think someone else is supposed to be dealing, but I bet it's been 'forgotten'.
espresso_mick
Grafter

Who is it you are trying to connect with for Counter-Strike?

I mostly use UK2 or Jolt. I get the best results (pings) from these servers. I found these servers when I used to be on a 56k dialup with another ISP, and I've stuck with them.

It's possible it could be internet congestion between you and the game server.

Do you know how many 'hops' you take to get to the CS servers your using?