cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever had problems getting games to work on ADSL?

N/A

Hi

I am running the Solwise 110 router on ADSL, with all the correct settings in the TCP/IP and also the router, and I can't get games to work in NAT. Q3, RTCW all won't work, often with the error of client_unknown_to_auth when trying to connect. Neither does the server browser window return any servers. All my games are up to date, I have 1 computer on the router and no firewall is on.

Has any one else had the same problem? Have they managed to resolve it? Plusnet support say they can't help with this so I may have to accept that games won't work behind my NAT connection, but when my adsl is set up just the same as the next punter, then surely other people must have the same problem.

cheers
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You'll have to open aka port forward some ports for them, some are specific to each game. So check the CD for a readme.txt for the port numbers required, or the games main web site and forums.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

This error is normally due to a problem connecting to the authentication servers which confirm you should be playing. The usual reason for this is if you are using a warez copy of the game rather than the real thing but there are other reasons.

One thing I know for certain, it is nothing to do with NAT. I have run both of the games that you have mentioned as well as a host of other games through NAT and I have never had to make any configuration changes.

I would try google and check for each game that is having the problem to see if there are known errors.

Regards,
N/A

Hi - thanks for the replies.

These are legit copies which I have bought - will look on the web for more info on this, but I've tried port forwarding etc and this doesn't seem to work either - it does work however when I switch the solwise into ZIPB mode, however this has no security whatsoever really.

cheers
N/A

Is ZIPB mode like placing your computer in the DMZ zone?
N/A

From what i've read about DMZ, then it is the same. ZIPB pretty much turns your router into a normal modem and your PC is assigned your WAN address which makes it visible on the internet - means you don't have to forward ports etc but its not very secure at all because your leaving your PC wide open.

cheers
N/A

Yeh seems to have the same result. Try finding out the necessary ports which need forwarding for your game [a quick google for "game ports" should find them].

If that doesn't work, try the DMZ/zipb function - though it's quite unsafe to do so.
N/A

Re: Ever had problems getting games to work on ADSL?

Hi

I am running the Solwise 110 router on ADSL, with all the correct settings in the TCP/IP and also the router, and I can't get games to work in NAT. Q3, RTCW all won't work, often with the error of client_unknown_to_auth when trying to connect. Neither does the server browser window return any servers. All my games are up to date, I have 1 computer on the router and no firewall is on.

Has any one else had the same problem? Have they managed to resolve it? Plusnet support say they can't help with this so I may have to accept that games won't work behind my NAT connection, but when my adsl is set up just the same as the next punter, then surely other people must have the same problem.

cheers

It's always good to do a search for ppl with similar problems before calling customer support.. Hava look here.