cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know a good ISP with low pings 4 gaming

N/A

Hi All
What is your recomendation for a ISP with low pings and no traffic shaping or Intelligent Network routing like Plusnet have deployed over Xmas which has totsally destroyed my game play?

I dont think they will be able to fix this lot and Im out of my minimum term contract so time to have a look around.

Look forward to your surgestions, as long as my post doesnt get moderated :lol:
11 REPLIES
N/A

please dont say thats true, iv just signed up to plusnet so i can play games online.
My mate is with plusnet and he get bad ping at times too!

Well i hope they sort it out soon.

P.S
If anyone at plusnet reads this i hope they sit up and do something about it. :lol:
Community Veteran

Read the service status announcements, they are!
N/A

This time with an ISP we used out common sense and opted for the month contract due to tiscali screwing us last time, this choice has paid off as of a few days ago.

Recently, battlefield two is regularly dropping out, which is very annoying when your trying to earn badges. I dont know where anyone else is looking, but Demon are advertising as no capping and no trafficing, which would be nice, adn according to www.adslguide.org they are pretty much on par with plusnet for customer service and speeds etc. but without the unpleasent level 1/2/3 etc management mails.
N/A

How incredibly interesting! Well i am Gareth85's friend and he is correct in saying i have been experiancing ping problems INgame recently. Funny you should say that redesdale as i left Tiscali to come here due to exactly the same reasons! Problem beeing is that i took up an annual contract as i thought i could trust Plusnet.....am i wrong? My ping problems started about 2 weeks ago....granted they are OK at the moment but with ISP's these days you just never know! I also agree with petervaughan because he is correct in the sence the "Service Announcements" does show a amber on ADSL Dialup.

I guess at the end of the day we all have these problems wherever we are, whatever ISP we are with....it all boils down the the network exchange and your contention ratio. Look at it this way.....if you have 50 people on a 50 way network hub in an exchange using the same main feed line at the same time playing......Counter-Strike then ofcourse you are going to get lag/ping spikes. It's up to Plusnet to provide more network hubs in more exchanges to relieve this contention ratio thus giving us a better ping. It's also up to us to be aware of this problem and look more into ISP's when looking for one at what their contention ratio's are....valid that some companies offer various different contention ratio's for various different packages (4MB/8MB/Bussiness lines) e.t.c but make sure you read the correct ratio that go's with your line.

I must add that service suppost has always been great with this company. My work use this company for everything and have never had any problems but more recently i have seen an increase in script helpdesking (Where the read everything of a piece of paper to you) and personally i hope they withdraw it extremely quickly otherwise as soon as my anual is up...i will be gone and be spreading the word about yet another ISP that has these issues.

Either way let's hope Plusnet doesn't go down the slippery road and all hail better pings.

Thanks

Scott
N/A

I must say up until Dec 05, Plusnet were great and the Support was good too.

Now try and find how to log a ticket on their support website, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack!

This "end user" is a noob attitude gets on my, well you know what.

My local exchange is not contested; this issue sits squarely with the deployment of their new Network management tool!

Sad
N/A

My gaming pings as of late have been spot on.. uk cs and cs:s servers pinging at between 15-25ms... xbox live gameplay faultless...
As for support tickets... "Help & Support" then click "Contact Us" surely thats simple enough? :shock:
N/A

My gaming pings as of late have been spot on.. uk cs and cs:s servers pinging at between 15-25ms... xbox live gameplay faultless...
As for support tickets... "Help & Support" then click "Contact Us" surely thats simple enough? :shock:

Agreed missed the contact us "Doh" Sad

However my ping is now 30-40, but I am getting what looks like intermittant packet loss on all servers during game play resulting in a "stuttering" of the player around me, not much fun when you are flying a jet, although CS is some what different in that respect.
N/A

Not sure how much you know about Steam and CS so if you already know this then i apologise in advance lol but try this...

Join a UK CS server
Go into the console (` key)
Type: rate 25000 (enter)
Type: cl_cmdrate 60 (enter)
Type: cl_updaterate 40 (enter)

see if that improves your ping and/or packet loss... it should do Smiley
N/A

oh also... you can see if it is actually packet loss you are seeing when playing CS by doing this:

Enter the console (` key)
Type: net_graph 3 (enter)

this will display your latency (ping), fps (frames per second), how much kb in/out and also how much choke and loss you have.

To get rid of the display:

Enter the console (` key)
Type: net_graph 0 (enter)

Cool
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Being a old gamer and long term EVE Online / CoD 1&2 player, i have to admit, for a bit during early December it got a bit flaky, and i put it down to EVE's RMR update, which was a bit scatty at best for the first 2 weeks.

Ultimately, ol' Plusnet, who have had their share of problems, can only be held accountable when you are within their domain/realm. Once you connect out to other gaming servers and cross various routers, you are at the mercy of the other internet routers, switches and lv3 backbone services (even a busy exchange).

The only saving grace is the EVE cluster being located in London, not too far from North of Scotland in relative terms. Some of my corp mates are from overseas, and they can have terrible trouble, especially if the routers in London/Europe are busy. CoD we usually host ourselves with smaller numbers. Teamspeak is also hosted on my LAN server.

I'm sure Plusnet have things in hand, and perhaps may offer a special package for gamers, which allow less contention ratio and better thruput service for playing and hosting games. Golden hint when playing online, esp with Battlefield and Call of Duty 1 or 2 - disable your AV software, or at least tell the software not to scan your game directories - otherwise it can be painfully slow to play.
N/A

CS Rates should be :-

Rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 101
cl_updaterate 101

Although these are supposed to be lan rates! The suggested 20000, 80, 80 were 512k/bs rates, and we are now speeding gaming up with 2,4,8 and 10 meg BB.

I would also set your fps higher
fps_max 125 or max_fps 125 canny mind which way it goes! then when you look at net_graph 1,2,3 you should have 100 fps most of the time if u have a decent system with graphics card !!!

As for CS:S

think you are meant to use cl_smoothe 0