cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating server problem

N/A

Creating server problem

Hi i have a router and when i make a server it seems no one can join, and i carnt create a shoutcast server either, ive tryed port forarding but it seems that its picking up my routers adress and not mine.. help pls??

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Changed topic. Contained 100% caps, which is akin to shouting. Many people would ignore your post on that basis]
4 REPLIES
N/A

Creating server problem

Have you made sure you are forwarding to the correct address.

When setting up port forwarding, use "ipconfig" on the command line, and note the "IP Address" returned.

You must use this as the forwarding destination address.

When people wish to connect, they should use your public IP. This can be obtained using the nslookup command (or in win98, use ping and use the value it gets) on djmusic18.plus.com
N/A

Creating server problem

ok a note about my not bieng able to make a shout cast server either, when i view the server using 10.0.0.7 it displays fine but trying it using my normal ip address wont work

the port forwarding works fine but its not seeing my address just my routers, please if anyone knows how to fix this
N/A

Creating server problem

That's perfectly normal. I believe it's something to do with the way NAT works. If you try to access your public IP from within the network, it will not work. However, if you get someone else to try it should (if everything is setup correctly).
N/A

Creating server problem

yes, i have a web server, voice chat server, and shoutcast server set up on a computer on my network - i can not access it using my plusnet assigned ip. this is due to the way NAT works.

my plusnet ip (dns aoffun.plus.com) works from the outside only

i have found a convenient way around this. in windows xp i have a file in G:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc called "hosts". I have added the following line to it so that i can access my server using aoffun.plus.com" from my local machine
192.168.1.104 aoffun.plus.com

you might use
10.0.0.7 djmusic18.plus.com

this essentially fools your computer into going to your local machine whenever you try to access your own ip

good luck