cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete idiot's guide to PS2 online set up needed

N/A

Hi All

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to connect my PS2 to my Plus.net broadband.

At the moment I use a USB DSL modem through my PC. I take it that I'll need to replace this with a combined router / modem & then buy the connection kit for the PS2 - is this right? Is there much fiddly configuration needed to set all this up, or will a relative numpty like me be able to handle it?

One more question - can you only play games via online games servers, or will I be able to hook up with another broadband connected PS2 directly and have a one-on-one game of, say, Tiger Woods?

Thanks loads for the help.

Jim
4 REPLIES
Delves
Grafter

Get an Xbox and sigh up for Xbox Live its so much easier and so much better.

I've got both XBL on PS2 on line and I can honestly say the PS2 setup caused me no end of trouble and once sorted the experience is no where near that of XBL.

You need to use ICS to connect your PS2. To get you going you will need a network card in your PC, setup Internet connection sharing on your ADSL modem and then using a crossover cat5 cable, not the one supplied in the PS2 kit connect your PS2 to your PC. your half way there now.

If your running a firewall disable it while you first setup, you will need to open ports to get games working, which one's i'm not sure.

Run the setup CD... be prepared for lots of confusion I have three saved account's on the memory card before I got connected.
N/A

Get an Xbox and sigh up for Xbox Live its so much easier and so much better.

I've got both XBL on PS2 on line and I can honestly say the PS2 setup caused me no end of trouble and once sorted the experience is no where near that of XBL.

Same here, i own both systems and xbox live is so much simpler and better IMO. And Halo 2's coming soon Cool

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Corrected quote tags]
N/A

Back on topic Wink

Jimbob: You can connect your PS2 in any of three ways: Directly (just plug in a modem), Internet Connection Sharing (PS2 is attached to another PC), or using a router (I'd say the simplest, just has a network cable from the router to the PS2).

I'm sorry I have no experience of this, but I know that PlusNet offer a useful guide HERE, which would be worth a read.

Setting up a router should be very easy, if you've managed to install a USB modem (which can be quite tricky) then you should be fine with a router Smiley
Community Veteran

My son has just connected his to a spare port on my router and then just followed the on screen instructions from the CD that came with the PS2 extension pack.
It wasn't difficult and he was up and running in a few minutes.