cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call of Duty / Lost Connection

N/A

Hi, can any one help. I am running W2000 Pro SP4 , Zone Alarm Pro (4.0.146.029) and McAfee virus scan 4.5.1 SP1 and I am playing Call Of Duty on the internet. The problem is that after 10 minutes or so the connection is lost. Both lights on the PlusNet Binatone USB brodband modem go out. I can exit the game and return to the desktop but I can not re-establish the connection. When I try to re-start the PC it locks up on the shutdown. I have to power off / power on the PC and start again. I don’t have a connection or lock up problem in any out situation. PLEASE HELP.

Moderators note by Chris: Removed caps from title, don't shout.
14 REPLIES
N/A

There is a know problem with memory loss and COD multiplayer. There is a patch coming out by end of week that will fix this.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

Although there are some teething problems with CoD duty I am convinced that this problem could not be caused by the servers you are connected to. It may be that your CPU/Gaphics card is using too much power and killing your USB modem (as some motherboards find it hard to keep up with the power demends of USB modems).

Have you tried lowering the graphics settings as I know that the requirements are very high on CoD since I could not run it at full whack on my machine - and I can do this with most games (Halo is the only other one that causes me problems).

Also, if you have a VIA chipset on your motherboard you may benifit from updating your BIOS. If you PM or email me I'll explain this in more detail for you.

Regards,
N/A

Cheesy Hi, Thanks for your response. You seem to be right that it is not the CoD server. As it happens I have just bought a new PC and the problem has gone. (No I did not get the new PC because of the problem. LOL) Anyway, thanks again for your time.
N/A

Thanks
N/A

I too am having lots of trouble running multiplayer COD and also MOHHA.
For MOHHA the modem seems to drop the line when loading another level.

For COD the modem seems to drop the line when I try to refresh the server list, or connect to a game. Sometimes I have managed to get a game, and its been fantastic, but most of the time the modem just drops Sad

I'm running on XP, fully patched up etc.

This has been very frustrating, as my main use for BB was for games such as these. Sad

Any ideas?
N/A

ip242yh, what connection hardware are you using?

USB and PCI modems tend to need the power of the CPU to process traffic.

Thus during processor intensive tasks, it take the power away from the modem, and the modem takes away power from the task.
N/A

Hi Phil,

Im using the Binatone usb modem you sent me
N/A

Just a quick note. I don't work for PlusNet.

I am no more than a humble customer like yourself, only I get to moderate the forums too.
N/A

Ah Sorry Phil.
I glanced and saw the PlusNet in your sig, without reading the rest of it Smiley
N/A

Where do i go from here

Ive tried reinstalling everything, and have no idea what is causing the line to drop. Its really getting frustrating, as my main interest at the moment is online gaming, and this adnd MOHAA seem to drop the line.

How can I be sureIm not paying 25 quid a month for a faulty modem. Of if not faulty, possibly simply inadequate modem. I dont know how to solve this problem.

There talk of a COD patch that should fix a memory leak, but there no sign of it, and no garantee it'll fix it.

Sometimes it will stay connected, but very rarely.

Could unplugging other devices such as my CDrom in an effort to save power possibly help?

The other strange thing is that immediately the line drops, (which is usually with 20secs of initiating a game), i have to close the game to redial, only it oftem wont connect, and requires a reboot. Its like it completely trashed the modem. What on earth could be going on.

Can anyone help?
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

This does sound like a power issue. Do you know if you have a VIA chipset on your PC's motherboard? If you do then have a look at this article on ADSL guide as it should help you.

The problem is not power full stop in your PC (so CD drives and the like will not make a great deal of difference) but power provided to your CPU and USB bus not coving the maximum range used by the USB modem.

Other options are to purchase a PCI card that gives you extra USB ports or an externally powered USB hub.

One great test (if possible) would be to borrow a router and see if you have the same problem with that. It may be a faulty modem but unless you have similar problem when doing other things it is unlikely.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks Josh,

Yes I believe I do have a VIA chipset.... Shall go read.

Glad someone out there has some ideas about this; I shall take a look.
Come to think of it, I think my monitor has usb sockets? I'll see if I can get them working.

If the power to cpu/usb something that can be tweaked via the bios?
jberry
Grafter

If the power to cpu/usb something that can be tweaked via the bios?

In a way, yes. The updated drivers on that link I gave you do just that. The main problem is that the people who make USB modems don't seem to try and keep power usage down (just lazy I think, or maybe it would cost a lot more) so motherboard manufacturers have to mess around to fix the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
N/A

Hi Josh,

Well I managed to get the modem running off a usb port on my ctx monitor, and guess what, it seems to work just fine Cheesy Smiley Cheesy

Many thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction, youre a star.

Cheers Jules

[Moderators note (by Thomas): For want of any better way to put it - excessive smileys removed!]