cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth requirments

N/A

Bandwidth requirments

I work partly for a charity. Within this charity, there is a cyber-cafe, used by the jobless for study and work searches.

After 4pm though, we allow gaming on 10 of the systems,w here users can book out a system fro 2 hours, to have a good old slaughter, on MOH:AA.

This is within the office only, and some of the employees have asked about joining in from home.

Through this, some of the dropin users, want to try and create, a limited public server.

Part of my job, has been to study bandwidth usage of the clients and servers.

This applies to MOH:AA only.

Does any1 have a rought guide, on how to calculate the bandwidth required per person.

I beleive that clients can change a setting, that affects how much bandwidth is used, for there connection.

Is there a formular that can calcuate this? IE "(3KBDOWN*USERS)+3KBUP == KB/s".

I have tried to measure this, on a linux system I have at home, but have so far, got varuying results, that made no pattern.

On top of this, I want to know this, to see if these clan servers that people make, are realy worth the money charged
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

RE: Bandwidth requirments

> I work partly for a charity. Within this charity, there is a cyber-cafe, used by the jobless for study and work searches.
>
> After 4pm though, we allow gaming on 10 of the systems,w here users can book out a system fro 2 hours, to have a good old slaughter, on MOH:AA.
>
> This is within the office only, and some of the employees have asked about joining in from home.
>
> Through this, some of the dropin users, want to try and create, a limited public server.
>
> Part of my job, has been to study bandwidth usage of the clients and servers.
>
> This applies to MOH:AA only.
>
> Does any1 have a rought guide, on how to calculate the bandwidth required per person.
>
> I beleive that clients can change a setting, that affects how much bandwidth is used, for there connection.
>
> Is there a formular that can calcuate this? IE "(3KBDOWN*USERS)+3KBUP == KB/s".
>
> I have tried to measure this, on a linux system I have at home, but have so far, got varuying results, that made no pattern.
>
> On top of this, I want to know this, to see if these clan servers that people make, are realy worth the money charged

That will come down to the Server and what speed your connection is.

Unless you have a leased line, or are a ISP with nearly unlimited bandwith then what limites you is your Upload speed in general.

On average an Online player will use 64k on a dedicated server. In theory you can host 12 people on a UK DSL line but it doesn't work out that way in reality.

So start small and work up. Try a 8 man server and if its not laggy or giving packetloss, increase by 2 player slots, until your server does experience excessive ping or worse packetloss, then go back too the previous.

Also a server needs a Good clean PC too run on. It Does NOT get used for anything else except for the game. So a semi decent cpu p3/athlon 600+, plenty of ram[256 atleast].

Then once you get a semi decent server running then you can think of tweaking, as you dont have a guide to see if a tweak Actually works or not.

My experience is with Unrealtournament servers, so can't give you any specific links but I'll have a quick look and post back with any.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hmm well I had a quick look for a specific Tweak guide for MOHAA but only could find the basic setup help. So not what you need, as if you can setup a lan server you know enough for that already.

But to run a good server online you need to tweak the internal settings, maybe Josh found one for PN's and will post a link *hint*
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

The server we have in use is more than adituate.

It runs on a P4 1.5, 80GB Raid mirror'd disks (4x40GB's) with 128MB ram (I have a further stick of 256 in my hand, that is being fitted tomorow afternoon, after the place closes). It's sole purpose is to act as a internal mail-server, plus a postit note answering machine (rather than the pain in the ass real thing, we sit on our asses, and send them direct to desktops, this machine acts as a answering machine, for while machines are off) and it also holds daily active backups of crucial files (saves pulling the tapes out).

In reality, the machine is a waste of time, and deserves a batter purpose. So why ya think we put MOH:AA on it Tongue

There was a second purpose to asking the question. As I said, I PARTLY work for a charity. I get the job of running around several offices, managing the networks. Which is so simple, my ass gets sore.

The rest of the offices, use a colocated server for e-mail (5 offices). This only deals with internal e-mail (minimising firewalling costs by organising 1 site with a dedicated server, the colo helps us with that), and for live tests of web-design. However, at the weekend, it sits there, and does nothing. There was more bandwidth (1/4MB) being used of uptime reporting, than on other traffic (0KB). AKA, the machine is wasted.

The company is willing to rent it to me for the cost of upkeep (£5 a week, saved to replace fubar parts) of the machine, at weekends.

I wanted to know, what sort of bandwidth is used, on a per connection basis in MOH:AA. I understand fully, that, for each new connection, previous connections bandwidth will increase.

The information, is like 15KB/s combined up and downstream base rate. Then, somthing like 1KB/s muliplied by the number of users on the server. THis would give you, the rate for one connection, so it would need multiplying by the number of players again, to get the up and down rate being used in total.

I know I can simply work out, how many players a server can handle, but this is not any good to me. Our colocator provides us with a 15MB/s burst rate, but we are not allowed to exceed a set rate over a period of 1 hour (I don't know the aret, as this was in dispute between 2 of our departments, and some1 can't be bothered to ask the colo).

If there is any1 who knows the information like this, it would be appreciated.