cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Xbox Live Problem..sorry, really need help wiv this

N/A

I've just bought the Xbox live starter kit for my console and i have a broadband connection with plus net on our PC, which is situated downstairs. my xbox is upstairs in my bedroom and the distance from my xbox to my PC is quite a long way for a cable to run. i've looked at the 3 connection options plus net state, and to be honest i'm not sure if there's a cable long enough to connect my xbox to my pc. is there any other way i can do this? i've read that you can get preset modems for xbox live from your service provider, is this true? is there no way i can connect to my telephone socket in my bedroom via a modem or router? any help you can give me would be much appreciated. If any of you guyz can help i would really appreciate it. Wink
8 REPLIES
N/A

i would suggest a wireless router like the Linksys WAG54G (shameless plug) and a wireless gaming adaptor.
N/A

Hi, I was facing pretty much the same dilemma really with my PS2. Because I already had a laptop in the house and i used ICS with it via a crossover cable and a NIC i was fine.
Luckily for me, the crossover cable was fine and it reaches the playstation downstairs quite easily. The only downside is that it looks quite messy when i bring the wire downstairs (don't want to drill a hole in the ceiling)

So to conclude, if you have a big budget go with the wireless router, if not go for a bigger cable.

Either way get whatever you need from ebuyer :

Cat5e Crossover Cable
Linksys Wireless B Game Adapter
Linksys Wireless G Game Adapter
Wireless Routers

Hope this helped Smiley
N/A

Only buy things that your sure that will work from ebuyer otherwise if they go back you have to pay to send them back. ( ie me yesturday had to pay 25 quid to send some stuff back bummer )
N/A

thanks for all your help guys, im probably going to go for the wireless router way. any advice on whats the best one to use?
N/A

never used a wireless gaming adaptor, but I know that D-Link and Linksys do one, only coz I've seen them both, but I'm sure there are others out there.

with D-Link and Linksys you should be fine, as they are large companies, and both have an good background of networking products.

personallyHuh linksys Smiley
N/A

Yeah the dlink are ment to be good go with that
N/A

get a wireless router and set it up upstairs in a bedroom if you have a phone plug up there, this would reduce any lag from a wireless connection to the xbox,, and get a wireless card for the pc they are really cheap (about a fiver or so).

i do this with cat5 for the xbox and wireless for my lappy, ebay have large cat5's available i got a 15 meter one for 3 quid and a quid postage....

hope you get it running soon look me up (gamertag is same as my username here) i play RTCW and Halo 2 Smiley
N/A

got it to connect via a linksys router and game adapter but now everytime i connect to xbox live it disconnects before i can even start a game.

can't get past the bit on halo when its searching for other players, seems to me like it keeps timing out

can anyone help me with this? Cry