what has changed...

when i was first on the trial i was getting down speeds of about 25MB
recent tests and it's shot upto 37MB
what has BT been upto?
6 REPLIES 6
reddev87
Grafter

Re: what has changed...

It could have been the change over to the 17a profile, which uses a wider frequency band to allow for the 80Mb product that's on the horizon.
A lot of people seeing speeds of 20-30Mb before the switch seen a decent boost.
Only problem is, I thought they had upgraded all the cabinets ages ago, so IDK why you'd only be noticing it now if that was the case.
bluewhale
Rising Star

could be i've missed it as i've been mainly using a laptop with only G wireless
having forgotten i'd upgraded my other one to N, which i've since switched to 🙂
to be honest as i keep bumping up against my low usage limit won't really be of use...
i was on the FTTC trial so stayed on my old pro product, not sure if i should switch now, but don't want to loose things like 8mb upload speed etc
why do various industries keep producing various products with complicated small prints 😞 just as bad as the power companies...
WWWombat
Grafter

I recently moved house, and had a load of data relating to speed predictions for a lot of postcodes - dating back to September.
I dug out a new set of predictions, now that they're based on the 17a profile, and could see that, roughly, where old predictions were in the range of 5-15Mbps, the new prediction is twice that: 10-30. Anything between 25 and 30 became 30-35, and anything above 30 became 40.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
bluewhale
Rising Star

anyone any thoughts about what product i should be on...currently on the old pro at £16ish, but with fttc trial bits, ie 10mb up/35mb down
and maybe should be on come 80/20 rollout...
WWWombat
Grafter

You have 4 options: Value or Extra, or either of those combined with the Pro add-on.
I guess your usage dictates the first point as to whether you choose Value or Extra (40GB on the first, or 120GB on the second).
But both of those will probably be a little more managed than you are used to, so you might want to add the Pro Add-on back on. Or you might not - it depends on what your main activities are. Traffic Management speeds here, compared with the old Pro product here
I imagine, from your package & price, that you are using less than 20GB and are in market 2 or 3. Value Fibre would be £16.50 for a 40GB allowance, and the Pro Add-on would add another £5. Extra fibre would be £21.50, with the same £5 to add the Pro add-on.
Someone from PN would have to let you know whether you'd keep the 10Mbps upstream from the trial. We kept it over the recent house move, but we were on the Extra Fibre package anyway, so didn't have a change of package to contend with - and that might be an important point.
On Extra Fibre, we don't particularly notice any of the management going on, so haven't yet felt the need to add Pro.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
bluewhale
Rising Star

hmmm...that's what i thought, so i'd be paying an extra £5 to get the extra usage, not good...so guess i'm stuck ho hum
pity i can't be bumped up to the 40gb usage