cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unexpectedly low speed

manuraheel

unexpectedly low speed

Had Fibre installed yesterday but the download speed is between 3mb to 7mb.
I know that it takes a while for the speed to settle but surely I should be getting more than this. I'm not expecting to achieve 40mb but I do expect a lot more than 3/7mb
Can someone confirm if this is normal for newly installed fibre and that the speeds will increase significantly in the vert near future. Or do I have a problem?
Thanks
I should be on the 40mb unlimited package so I'm assuming that my settings are not correct
2 REPLIES 2
avatastic
Grafter

Re: unexpectedly low speed

Your speeds should increase automatically shortly after installation.
Chances are that your Plusnet profile has not updated to match your new line speed. This, sadly is not unusual and hopefully someone from the Customer Relations Team will pick this up in the morning for you.
For the CRT who picks this up, this lack of profile update seems to be a frequent occurrence judging by the number of times this comes up on the forums. Are the accounts not receiving the new profiles from BT or is there something in place, a sanity check maybe, that tells your systems to ignore a profile update that is over 10x the last sync speed just in case it is wrong?
Or is it that the profile update comes through from BT before the product change is registered and is therefore rejected?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: unexpectedly low speed

Quote from: avatastic
Chances are that your Plusnet profile has not updated to match your new line speed. This, sadly is not unusual and hopefully someone from the Customer Relations Team will pick this up in the morning for you.

Nice idea, but it's not the case here. This was a new install, so no previous line rate was set.
@manuraheel
Are you still seeing slower than expected speeds? If so can you let us know if you're connected via a wireless or wired connection? If it's wired I'd suggest running through the steps at https://faults.plus.net so we can take a deeper look.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.