cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speeds slowing as more join fttc ?

richards99
Grafter

speeds slowing as more join fttc ?

There are four main factors that affect your broadband speed on an FTTx connection:
- The speed your Openreach modem connects to the Fibre cabinet. - The line profile set on the RDSLAM which is the system in the cabinet that your modem connects with. - The speed profile on the BT network sometimes referred to as the IP profile or the bRAS profile. - The speed profile configured on our network layer sometimes referred to as the Plusnet profile.
In relation to the above quote would be grateful if a PN member of staff could tell me which of the above has reduce my speed by 10 meg.
I was the first connected to my cabinet on 1 march this year. Engineer confirmed line to exchange could handle 85 meg. Until last week or so getting 75 meg and Bt ip profile was 77 meg. Last couple of weeks open reach have been working on the cabinets and my bt ip profile now 67 meg. Can't see it being the pn profile as last time I looked was 20.
Thanks in anticipation
jonathan
25 REPLIES 25
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: speeds slowing as more join fttc ?

@richards99
To be perfectly honest with you we may never be able to tell you precisely which of those factors is actually affecting the speed as there's no hard and fast way to prove or disprove those factors I'm afraid
The speed profile on the BT network sometimes referred to as the IP profile or the bRAS profile. - The speed profile configured on our network layer sometimes referred to as the Plusnet profile.

They are actually 2 separate things, BT's BRAS or IP profile is one level, secondary to that we have our own speed profile which should match that.
As you may know the DLM process for FTTx is entirely automated and may reduce speeds if there are perhaps other factors affecting your connection although it is realistic that an increased uptake of fibre products on your cabinet may lead to a slight reduction in speeds.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
richards99
Grafter

Thanks for the response.
Are you at least able to ascertain the setting of my cabinet - ie has that changed from 77 to 67?
Thanks
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: richards99
In relation to the above quote would be grateful if a PN member of staff could tell me which of the above has reduce my speed by 10 meg.
I was the first connected to my cabinet on 1 march this year. Engineer confirmed line to exchange could handle 85 meg. Until last week or so getting 75 meg and Bt ip profile was 77 meg. Last couple of weeks open reach have been working on the cabinets and my bt ip profile now 67 meg. Can't see it being the pn profile as last time I looked was 20.

Do you know how far you are from the cabinet? It seems fairly common for DLM to knock up to 10Mbps off the sync speed if it detects certain errors, you may find it goes back up again. This has happened to me a couple of times, I'm currently in a "down" phase (the downs tends to last longer than the ups, unfortunately!)
richards99
Grafter

No more than 100 m away from the cabinet mate
KevinG
Rising Star

Hmmm, you should be OK then, I'm a lot further away, more like 400m.
richards99
Grafter

If you go down in speed profile how long does it take to go up again?
KevinG
Rising Star

It depends on what DLM decides. Took nearly 2 months for me last time, but when it went back up it only lasted a few days.
MarkOsborne
Dabbler

Quote from: KevinG
[Do you know how far you are from the cabinet? It seems fairly common for DLM to knock up to 10Mbps off the sync speed if it detects certain errors, you may find it goes back up again. This has happened to me a couple of times, I'm currently in a "down" phase (the downs tends to last longer than the ups, unfortunately!)

Kevin can you indicate which "certain" errors you refer, and possibly which xdslcmd info command you would use to log these?
Thanks
Mark
KevinG
Rising Star

Sorry, I don't know how it works or what specific errors it is looking for, it was deliberately vague really! The modem status page shows CRC, FEC and HEC errors and I have seen these pretty high at times, I presume that is an indication of the quality of the connection that DLM takes into account. At the moment mine are all pretty low, in the 10s, so I am reasonably hopeful I may get an increase in speed some time soon.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

@ Mark Osborne,
These commands will provide most of the relevant information:-
xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd info --stats

The Windows Graphing Scripts obtain the above information & also obtain & plot this additional information (thousands of rows):-
xdslcmd info --Bits
xdslcmd info --linediag

It should be noted that the GUI's reported error types are a bit mixed up.
Information obtained via xdslcmd appears to be far more trustworthy.
MarkOsborne
Dabbler

Quote from: Bald_Eagle1
@ Mark Osborne,
These commands will provide most of the relevant information:-
xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd info --stats

The Windows Graphing Scripts obtain the above information & also obtain & plot this additional information (thousands of rows):-
xdslcmd info --Bits
xdslcmd info --linediag

It should be noted that the GUI's reported error types are a bit mixed up.
Information obtained via xdslcmd appears to be far more trustworthy.

Thanks for the help. I don't suppose you know if the scripting tool is available for Mac? (virtualising Windows can be problematic).
As an aside do you know of any other similar tools that are compatible with the standard OR modem (Idle curiosity that's all).
Thanks
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Mark
Thanks for the help. I don't suppose you know if the scripting tool is available for Mac? (virtualising Windows can be problematic).

Sorry Mark. I have no idea.
I wrote the Windows scripts, initially based upon the original Linux script (graph.sh) which is available at the same download site as the Windows scripts.
Someone, somewhere, may have possibly converted my scripts for native Mac use, but I am not aware of it.
I believe Linux users are able to run the Windows scripts in a Windows VM with no issues.
As an aside do you know of any other similar tools that are compatible with the standard OR modem (Idle curiosity that's all).

I am not aware of any other similar tools.
However, some other VDSL modems have built in graphing tools. e.g. one of the FritzBox! modems (can't recall which one now, but it is discussed in the thinkbroadband forum)
EDIT:
The FritzBox! 7390 is the modem in question.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Bald_Eagle1
The FritzBox! 7390 is the modem in question.

Example attached.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MarkOsborne
Dabbler

@ Bald_Eagle_1
Thank you for your previous reply, very much appreciated. I  must say I was very impressed by the output from the scripting tool you produced and have had a go at trying it out. I have a quick question. My (WHS) home server is located at 192.168.1.1 and this would be a major pain to move, so I've been running the OR modem web interface at 192.168.1.250 instead. I know your scripts expect the modem to be at the default IP address and I did spot one instance in your files, where I edited the IP address to reflect my modem location, but it did not work.
I don't suppose you could give any clues to any necessary modifications to make your scripting tool work at my modem IP address.
Alternatively I'll have to turn my server off for a while, prove I can get this running on the Mac as a Windows VM and then decide what to do next.
My ultimate goal was to get this running permanently on the Windows Home Server once proven and tested.
Thanks once again for all your help.
Mark