Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Secure" Openreach ONT Placement

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: "Secure" Openreach ONT Placement

@jpwilliams_com 

What I've not mentioned yet (because I forgot about it) is the Customer Splice Point (CSP) box.

If this is required (as I suspect it is nowadays - I don't have one from years ago) I don't know if it can be fitted indoors.

If it can't, then this gives you some lee way in where the cable comes in should you wish a location other than the Hall.

Brian

jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

Thanks Brian. I think all the pictures I've seen have been a cable coming either from a pole or duct, but (for the latter) rising above ground on the outside wall to the splice box, before passing through the wall to the internal gland (per the second picture in that thread) and then into the ONT.   Perhaps it's just a Northern Ireland thing, but I haven't seen anything where there's a completely underground duct from the road to inside the property, without a break for the CSP - I was hoping that if I've a duct about an inch or so in diameter, it might be possible to feed the external cable a couple of feet out of the original NTE5 back box, make the splice, then pull the splice back inside the duct a few inches (remaining inside the property.  I saw OR pulling cables past my front door a few weeks back, so I'm assuming someone in my development got fttp, but can't confirm which house. Might go for a nosey and see if I see anything obvious - unfortunately if it's possible to put it all underground, there's no way of knowing!

John

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@jpwilliams_com 

If you look at the first picture from the other thread the top part has been removed and replaced with the CSP. You may not have noticed but the part near the ground is known as an "Elephants Foot" (I believe). It's wider to cover the top of the duct. It should be underground!!!

Thanks to @alungd  you've an idea of what a good installer will do to help out.

I'm not certain but the ONT looks to be one port with the fibre cable plugged in beside the Ethernet port- and not the 4 port model shown is the ISPReview article. If so, it's probably a bit smaller.

If the CSP is required outdoors then OR will need to dig at some point though I doubt it would at your door steps (too much work to put them back!!!). But it would open up options for the location of the ONT.

You said your roof space was not easy to navigate - is it easy to enter? If so, given your circumstances, you might just be able to persuade the OR engineer to go the extra mile. The CSP could be placed near your existing conduit and then cable run up - assuming there's space in the conduit or the existing cable is not needed.

If you see any house installs happening near you spek to the installer and see if you can cadge a 5 minute consultation on what is or isn't possible.

Brian