Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittentSlow speeds since 4th December on MK FTTP

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: intermittentSlow speeds since 4th December on MK FTTP

Speed down to 3.8Mbps download at 20:45, was 77Mbps at 12:00, slow down noticed at 19:49 when speed was 19Mbps.
TAP3 test couldn't find server after changing router username although the IP address and DNS where updated and CHAP authenticated okay to speedtest_domain

At 21:00 tried to run Thinkbroadband speedtest which  just got to "stage 2 of 6" and then sat there. Task manager shows zero network traffic there after. Speedtest.net shows a full speed link but takes 4 minutes to load the page before being able to select the test server.
BTW test is now 0.00 download, 18.23 up and 28.75 ping.
Web page loading slow and sometimes needs to be refreshed by F5 key before loading fully as it just "sticks" sometimes. E.G BTW speedtest first attempt froze during the "loading" phase, press F5 and second attempt runs to completion straight away
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
herbiejhopkins
Dabbler

I've also been experiencing intermittent problems with my service for the past few weeks. I haven't reporting anything until now though. I'm also on the FTTP 100 Mbps trial in Walnut Tree. Yesterday evening (26th Jan) I had issues from around 9pm. Last Thursday evening (23rd Jan) I also had these problems. There have been at least a couple of occasions prior to this but I can't remember the dates off the top of my head.
During the problem evenings some web pages will load, others not. When they do I'm often missing several images. Any kind of streaming video (youtube, bbc iplayer etc) or on-line gaming is not usable at all at these times.
Yesterday evening I tried to run the btwholesale speed test but it just got stuck at "loading..." Oddly the speedtest.net site appeared to show a reasonable download speed although the page itself took a couple of attempts to load.
I haven't logged a fault yet but will do if you see some value in it. If there's anything else I can do to help diagnose this issue then let me know.
Thanks,
Herbie
SpendLessTime
Hero

@Herbie

Yes please log a fault.
Put in all the details as you have the same issue that I and quite a few others both on PN and BT have. We need the power of numbers to get all the BT owned firms to solve this issue.
We need to pressure the companies into fixing this issue and the only way is for everyone who experiences it is to log a fault and get updating them.
Don't close the call for a least a month as the issue is intermittent and will come back unless PB and BT actually fix the issue rather than just send engineers to house to check the fibre signal is okay. The issue is not with the fibre from the house to the connection point in the street. It is further back up the line somewhere into the exchange and affects MK7 Walnut Tree fttp users.
George
SpendLessTime
Hero

Interesting comment on https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/FTTP-Problems-0-86Mbps-down/m-p/1150554#M12...
User csandbach seems to have diagnosed that the issue maybe network protocol specific .i.e effects TCP packets but not UDP. Might explain why speedtest.net works when the BTW or thinkbroad bands speed test do not.
Have added this to my support ticket too.
George
AndyH
Grafter

JTG6 found that running a speed test using a MK server gives fairly normal results, but if he tries a London server or the BT Wholesale Speedtest, then the results are terrible - https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/FTTP-Problems-0-86Mbps-down/m-p/1149372#M12...
herbiejhopkins
Dabbler

Raised a ticket myself (id: 80439181) if only to give this a bit more visibility.
Interesting discussions on the bt forums. Will do some more investigating myself next time there are problems and see if I can corroborate the server location / protocol patterns others are seeing. The location thing does make sense, I'm fairly sure speedtest.net selects the MK server for me by default (can't check right now as I'm at work).
SpendLessTime
Hero

When it happens again and if I can load speedtest.net ( a big if sometimes  Sad  ) I will try the test against MK and London for comparisons. The TCP and UDP throughput is interesting in and of itself though as it starts to point more to networking issues and not faulty fibre cables.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

BTW have flagged up a capacity issue for some users on fibre at Bradwell Abbey. I'm trying to determine if the people affected here are affected by that problem or not.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
SpendLessTime
Hero

@Dave
Thanks, nice to hear of some progress. Hope this is the issue and that a plan to fix it is quickly implemented.
Looking forward to timely updates and alternatives if this isn't the cause.
George
AndyH
Grafter

There's an AAISP user also in Walnut Tree that's also been having problems. I've asked to make sure he raises it with AAISP Support.
SpendLessTime
Hero

Some the answer from PN is now to wait.
When the go slow happens again, then contact them with availability details and then a FOURTH ENGINEER will come a calling.
Of course, the slowdown has only twice exceeded 12 hours and once it reached 24 hours so the chance that the line will still be slow when the engineer arrives in pretty much nil. And of course the slow down starts in the evening so by the time PN book an engineer it will already have been 12 hours or so as getting through by phone at night is impossible and the web ticket may not be read until the day shift turn up at PN.
And what is so special about this FOURTH engineer, well he can talk to the Higher Level Escalation team directly as he has the secret phone number that the other 3 engineers are not allowed.
Today is the 8 (EIGHTH) week anniversary of the start of this issue. Happy 8th week to you.

Disgruntled in MK7

SpendLessTime
Hero

Speed back to slow again.
Speedtest.net - MK site 76Mbps, London site 7.5Mbps
BTW test shows:
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 39.34 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 19 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
AndyH
Grafter

On the BT forums, JTG6 got the following update:
The matter has been raised to a high level within BT's Fibre to the Home technical department as well as our own Customer Services. The exchange equipment manufacturers have now been engaged to seek a solution. Unfortunately, we do not have any timescales at present but will keep you updated and will contact you again on Monday 3rd February at the latest.

So it would like a complex problem - or they still do not know the cause exactly.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

And people wonder why Plusnet still have FTTP as a trial!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SpendLessTime
Hero

@AndyH
I read that post too and assumed the "Or" bit.
I have phoned PN and told them of the latest slowdown. Awaiting a return call for a time slot for an engineer but by the time one gets here the speed will be back to normal as it has been the other 3 times.
@jelv
Well BT Retail sell fttp as a product so it should be stable but it isn't. I actually waited a long time after the trial started before getting it, assuming that the early adaptors would have found the bugs. Wrong!

Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor for past 24 hours
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/676c757711be1eb52aa5949c5322e84c-30-01-2014.html
Spot the issue after 2pm.

George