Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help confused!

pullenuk
Grafter

help confused!

Hey all!
I'm very interested in the fttc trial, as its coming to my area 31st March. So having the chance to have the fastest speed over my friends would simply be wicked and using player the way it meant to be would be great.
But questions....
I currently rent my property, so obviously I'm not sure if I will need the landlord permission. The last thing I want Is to get it installed then ruin everything for the next tenant and get blamed for it.
Also if I move when I got fttc, I will still be in the area what costs would I be looking at to move the service over? also what effect does it have on the line I be leaving behind? Will the next person have to have fttc or they be able to have ADSL.
I'm currently using homephone and broadband pro for your Info.
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: help confused!

ADSL and FTTC are not compatible, it's either one or the other on a line. To change from one to the other will involve an engineer visit and removal/addition of a VDSL modem for FTTC as well as a cable jumper change in the green cabinet in the road.
This will certainly introduce a complication, and most likely a delay due to needing a BT Openreach engineer,  when you move as the next tenant may not want the additional cost of FTTC but would still want ADSL. It is really down to the landlord as to whether they will allow this situation.
Also don't get your hopes up... a 'go live' date which is at the end of the month is often just a holding date when BT don't know when it will be available. It could be sooner but more likely later than the date specified.
knowdice
Rising Star

FTTC is done over the same phone lines that currently supply your ADSL (although you can't have ADSL & FTTC at the same time) and phone, so there is no change that would effect your landlord or future tenants.
BT will change the faceplate and you need power for their VDSL+ modem...but that's it...
itsme
Grafter

I am sure of the exact process of the FTTC changeover but it seem that the ADSL/phone jumpering in the exchange is not changed at the time of installing the VDSL faceplate in the home. So it would indicate that the ADSL can be switched off. The rejumpering in the exchange seem to be done at a later date so only telephony is going out from the exchange to the cab. 
pullenuk
Grafter

Thanks guys for your help so far. So I would need to discuss with my landlord then saying switching over to fttc *might* mean the next tenant will have to wait for a engineer to come out and put them back to ADSL. By the sound of it, that shouldn't be a problem right? When I came here, I ordered homephone and broadband, enginner came and simply switched the line, new number even so there was a working line, just didn't belong to anyone. So am I right that if I move the service if moving home, I would advise plus to get bt to suspend the line and when the next tenent comes, all they need to do is order a new connection and a engineer should put them on what they need?
knowdice
Rising Star

As far as I know the new faceplate that BT install for FTTC is ADSL compatible - all it is doing is filtering the voice band away from the higher frequency broadband.
So, engineering wise nothing would necessarily need to be changed in the house, the rest is just external cabinet jumpering that BT would do fairly transparently to the end user.
As far as moving is concerned it's probably done as two items (maybe somebody from Plusnet can confirm) but you probably need to do this in the right order otherwise you may get charged for a new install  Embarrassed
1. Your BT phone service would need to be moved.
2. Your Plusnet broadband service needs to be moved.
puffin
Grafter

If the telephone contract is in your name and you have no intention of transferring the contract to the landlord when you move out (i.e you will do a home move or cease rather than let the landlord put their name on the line to keep it running) then I don't see how it's any business of the landlord or the next tenant.  The only case for informing them would be if you had to get BT to tack a data extension cable around the skirting because the master socket doesn't have power.
At any rate, a home move or cease will remove service at your current location so anyone moving in will be charged by BT for an engineer to come out and do the reconnection.  The engineer will then sort whatever broadband has been asked for by the new tenant (if any).
pullenuk
Grafter

Thanks guys for your help.
Trouble is orginally when I looked....
1. Date was set at 31st March 2011
2. Then changed to 30th March 2011.
3. Parents who are further from exchange NOW can have FTTC. (the lines MUST come pass us, its the only road there is! Just a different estate!)
4. Date for us changed to 31st June 2011!!!!
EH?!!?
How can BT state on their website on the map that Ashford Kent can have it, but when I put my phone number in it's now saying 31st June, yet my parents less than a mile away and I'm between them and the exchange can have it now? Something doesn't seem right here.
charltjr
Grafter

It depends when the cabinet which serves your property is upgraded. The exchange may be upgraded and other roads close to you may be able to get FTTC but until the specific cabinet which serves your line is replaced with a new one and all the fibre gubbins is connected you won't be able to get the service. The dates at which the cabinets are upgraded is very much "subject to change" and could move in either direction.
pullenuk
Grafter

Now its 21st April!
It seems that they don't have a clue if they keep changing the date? I probably be better off asking a BT engineer when I see one playing with the cabinet nearby for a honest answer.