cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre install

rajivshah24

fibre install

Hi-
I have a  few question on how they install fibre broadband,.
Does the engineer change the line coming into the house?
If the answer to the above is no, could I simply put a new face place on an existing extension and plug the phone and modem into that?
The reason being my master is in an awkward spot and whilst they could use the 30 metre data extension I would prefer not to have new wires running anywhere.
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: fibre install

The nature of FTTP (fibre to the premises) does mean that a new fibre line is installed into the property so a new data socket would be fitted.
It may be possible to request that the socket (if it's FTTP) is installed in a different location but going via the data extension route would probably be necessary if it was FTTC.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rajivshah24

Thanks for your response.
To clarify- after the installation I will have both the existing phone line and the new fibre line coming into the property and into the master socket?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, you should then have two separate sockets, one for data and one for phone.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

It's best to have the ONT next to the master socket for when PN offer voice over fibre. Also the internal fibre cable is slightly thicker than normal telephone cable (more like Cat5 thickness), so more visible if run on skirting boards etc.
Also, bare in mind you need a power supply for the ONT (which also comes with a battery backup).
Here's a pic of my ONT/fibre termination box:
itsme
Grafter

Voice over Fibre is that ever going to happen? For a start I thought that the country should be reducing the power consumption not increasing it.
I prefer the good old copper line telephone, it does not add to my electricity bill and it still work when there is a power cut.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Voice over Fibre is that ever going to happen? For a start I thought that the country should be reducing the power consumption not increasing it.
I prefer the good old copper line telephone, it does not add to my electricity bill and it still work when there is a power cut.

BT already offer it. I think the delay was something due to the OFCOM intervention over the potential power cut issue.
Most people use DECT phones these days any days, most of which don't work with power cuts (which are a rare in the UK) either.