Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you need to get to the equipment much

cajef
Grafter

Re: do you need to get to the equipment much

Quote from: buntrob
as I don't have the control cable plugged in for the battery pack to tell ONT that the main is disconnected.

Well I am not sure what difference it makes but for the record I do have the control cable connected from the UPS to the ONT and my internet certainly stays on when I switch the power off to the UPS and the battery back up kicks in, the only change is that the green power indicator on the ONT changes to red while it is running on the batteries.
preachbrit
Dabbler

what wireless router do they supply if any? I will be using my old talk talk one ( hg 533 ) for the normal dsl until the fibre is installed ( hopefully) and i didnt know if what i have is better than the supplied stuff.
preachbrit
Dabbler

well the initial dsl is switched over. And with no change in wiring or equipment i went from a dismal often less than dial up speed to a solid 5.7 and it has remained at minimum 5 even in peak times. the phone will swap over in a few weeks. So i am well pleased with the service so far and my boy has all the cbbc i player he wants. Watching mock the week with no delays or buffering is great.
preachbrit
Dabbler

Got the outside work done with a install date of 16th. The initial place i had picked out might not be as suitable as i thought as the fibre wont follow original path of copper so a few questions.
Do they ever run things up to the loft ( 2 storey house) then into a room from above?
if it goes outside is the stuff they use external grade or should i put some conduit up.
Does it matter if the electrical hookup is an apc ups instead of a normal socket.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Yes the fibre is perfectly ok outside. Mine runs from the pole to the roof eaves, then down the drainpipe to the external junction box. From there along the front of the house brickwork to the study, then in through a hole to the ONT (see pic).
The ONT comes with a small battery backup of its own (just a couple of AA rechargeables) There is some debate as to whether this is just to keep a phone connection alive or if it will also maintain the data connection. The instructions for my ONT say phone only, others have said their data connection stays up if power is disconnected. Either way 2 AAs ain't going to last long so I have mine on a  ups which should keep it and the router going 3 or 4  hours.
preachbrit
Dabbler

thanks
preachbrit
Dabbler

well the fibre is in although still waiting for the Plusnet router but it is on the way. ( the old hg 533 wont work) although i did try using a direct connection to test the line from my pc and got 5.6 down and 17 up so something works.
Anyone any idea how i could contact the wholesale installer or get him a message as he left a pair of fibre cutters here.
preachbrit
Dabbler

ok the mew stuff is in all i need now is a profile reset to bump up my download speed and it should be fine as my upload is close to 20.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Leave this with me. I'll make sure the package/profiles are updated shortly for you  Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
preachbrit
Dabbler

thanks
preachbrit
Dabbler

much better now
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear it  Cool
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet