cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cease landline but keep fttp

digitalfixer
Grafter

cease landline but keep fttp

Hi I am interested in ceasing my landline which is with BT, switching it to a VOIP provider instead.  What I want to check is that it will have no impact on my PlusNet FTTP broadband service or account (only have Broadband with PlusNet)

Also interested in what others have done with regards to SIP providers?

2 REPLIES 2
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: cease landline but keep fttp

Hi @digitalfixer,

You just need to contact the VOIP provider to take over your BT line. This will not affect your FTTP service.

If you have any further queries please let us know as we are more than happy to help! Smiley

PreGP
Rising Star

Re: cease landline but keep fttp

Hi @digitalfixer

I ceased my landline 2 months ago so now just have FTTP with PlusNet. I went with Sipgate Basic for VOIP. You have to use a temporary number to start with but having set up an account and confirming your physical address (for 999 calls) you can arrange to port your old BT number to them which took about 8 days and cost me £30. They have been excellent and much cheaper than keeping the landline. You'll either need a dedicated VOIP telephone or you can use a VOIP to analogue converter (such as the Cisco SPA112) to run your existing phone from. Setting up the converter is a bit fiddly but there are plenty of guides online to help you out. All in all it was pretty straightforward. My phone works exactly as before with the same UK ring and dial tones but at a fraction of the cost. I honestly wouldn't go back to a standard landline having made the change. Smiley