Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

belkin router

krs181067
Grafter

belkin router

hello
i've just signed up for the trial. 3rd nov!! hopefully an improvement on my 0.7meg speeds will be seen. Cheesy
Just making sure about the hardware set up. Have you got an idiots guide for the set up? i.e modem to  router to wireless/wire to laptop.
I've got  a belkin F5D8633-4 N wireless router, can this still be used? I prefer wireless connectivity will the trial accommodate wireless? I have noticed comments about wan, but not sure what this means to me.
thanks
kel
7 REPLIES 7
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: belkin router

Hi,
I don't think that router will work. FTTC needs a router with an ethernet WAN port (an RJ45 port, the same as you connect the router to your PC) rather than a DSL port (the smaller RJ11 you connect to your phone line). Most cable routers will work fine but most ADSL routers don't.
We're currently sending out Netgear WNR1000 routers, these have 4 ethernet ports to connect devices wired and support wireless too. We recommend wireless N rather than G as G isn't fast enough for FTTC.
There'll be a link to the setup guide in your ticket which will show you how to connect the router wirelessly and set it up with the settings for FTTC, it's pretty easy.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
krs181067
Grafter

dave
i've been a dumbass and managed to close the ticket! sorry.
can you reopen it.
thanks
kel
krs181067
Grafter

Quote from: dave

We're currently sending out Netgear WNR1000 routers, these have 4 ethernet ports to connect devices wired and support wireless too. We recommend wireless N rather than G as G isn't fast enough for FTTC.

Hello Dave
Can I set up the router before the fttc is installed on the 3rd Nov?
kel
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi, yeah you can so long as you use the setup guide linked on the ticket, if you try using the CD it won't work.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
krs181067
Grafter

Hello Dave
got the router today, thanks
I can't see how I can  connect to the internet and set up the router when I'm still using adsl connectivity
The netgear router connects to the modem via the ethernet cable and i can't rig this up to my adsl  filter.
Am I missing something?
kel
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You don't need your old ADSL router anymore... The Netgear replaces you old router...
The WAN port of the Netgear router connects to the Ethernet port on the VDSL modem that BT fitted. The VDSL modem is the only device that plugs into your phone socket (which is how BT should have left it). In effect the VDSL modem acts like the ADSL modem in your old router.
Your network is then the 4 LAN ports on the Netgear and the wireless. Once you have connected everything up, follow the instructions supplied to configure the Netgear router.
Oops.. Sorry, I just re-read that you don't have FTTC yet so keep the aboove for when you do.
To set-up the router just unplug your network from your existing router and plug it into the Netgear and follow the set-up instructions (note you need to use a wired connection to set it up). You won't be able to access the internet while doing this (and you won't get confirmation that the router is set-up properly either). After following the set-up instructions unplug the new router and connect back to your existing ADSL router and wait for FTTC.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565
Moved: