Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel router and VPN

hulls
Grafter

Zyxel router and VPN

Hi
I'm trialling the Zyxel router, and am trying to use VPN with it. Since this piece of kit requires an upgrade to the "professional solution" in order to be able to stealth ports, am I right in thinking it doesn't support VPN either?
I ask because my laptop is finding the network, but won't log in.
If this is the case, then it's another reason to avoid Zyxel at all costs, since they don't support the most basic requirements  Undecided
John 
22 REPLIES 22
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Zyxel router and VPN

Looks like all it does is VPN pass-through...
I guess the warning is on the box "Wireless N-lite Home Router"  Embarrassed
hulls
Grafter

I've now plugged the Thompson back in, and that's fine.  The Zyxel wouldn't et me log on to the VPN at all.
I'll try it again later, in case it was a network fault, but the Thompson'd fine.
John
grahamt
Rising Star

From the NBG-417N specification:
VPN pass-through (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP)

So it's just the basic pass-though, like my ancient ZyXEL P660HW-61. The NBG-417N is a pretty cheap router - eBuyer has them for £30.63 even after the VAT increase. I can access my university's VPN with my router (using a Cisco client) but of course your configuration may differ. There are more expensive ZyXELs that will probably do what you want (e.g. NBG-460N), but if you're happy with the Thomson you don't need to bother with them.
(I have to admit 'NBG' is an unfortunate abbreviation for any product.  No B--- Good!)
Graham
hulls
Grafter

My office laptop can log on to the Thompson router with no problems, but with the Zyxel it can see the network, but won't let me log on to it.  It just comes up with a message saying that the network is no longer available, and I may be out of range.  I haven't moved, and the wifi can see the router absolutely fine.
It may be a setting somewhere I suppose.  Undecided
John
puffin
Grafter

I'm confused by what you mean when you say "I can log onto the Thomson router no problem".  The Thomson router supplied by PlusNet for the trial does not have VPN capabilities so I can only assume that you have a VPN server somewhere on your network and you have configured the Thomson to forward the VPN port to it.
hulls
Grafter

No.  My work laptop logs on to the router that I was originally provided with fine, and I can connect via VPN to my work server.  I have no server on my network, and I haven't changed the network settings.  My laptop won't connect to the Zyxel, I assume because it does not have the facility to connect via VPN (but I'd be happy to be told how to do it, if I'm wrong)
I tried again, when I'd finished my work, and the Zyxel router comes up on the available networks, but I can't get on to it.  It doesn't even get as far as asking me for the pass code.  It just comes up with a message to say that the network isn't available, and that I may have gone out of range. Clearly I haven't, it's still visible, and I'm beside my desktop which is logged on to the network.
John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I have a ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A which is by no means a top-end router.
I have it fully stealthed and can connect to our SSL-VPN servers from home without any problems. Can't speak for the NBG-417N though as I've never had the opportunity to play around with one.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

knowdice
Rising Star

I think you will be VERY surprised how "Lite" (basic) the NBG-417N is compared to your P660  Undecided
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'll try and get hold of a unit and test it on one of the DSL lines in the office...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Vip3r
Grafter

Hulls,
Can you confirm that you are able to surf the internet with your laptop and the Zyxel router before you use the VPN?
Also what type of VPN are you using?
hulls
Grafter

Hi
The work laptop is tied down, so the only way to go on to the internet with it is via the work (county council) firewall.  I believe it's IPSEC VPN  I can't do any surfing or email on my laptop without logging in via VPN, and my laptop won't log on to the Zyxel router at all.
Essentially, when I turn my laptop on, and put my login details in, if I'm not on the network, the laptop attempts to go to VPN, and I'm asks for the pass code from the tag they provided (the type that changes the password every minute or so).
If I don't want to VPN, or I haven't put connected to the wifi network concerned before, then I cancel that, start up as normal, and connect to the wifi before going to VPN.
But with the zyxel router, as I've said, the laptop sees the network, but won't let me join it
John
Vip3r
Grafter

Ah ha, so its a Wireless connection issue then rather than a VPN issue.
To confirm this what happens if you connect with a cable between the laptop and router?
hulls
Grafter

Good point - I haven't tried, but I'll give it a go later.
John
hulls
Grafter

OK that's interesting.  Connect by cable and it works ok, but even then (next to the router) it sees the wifi network, but won't let me on it.  It comes up with the same message couldn't connect - may be out of range - refresh network list and try again.  Huh
John