cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZyXEL router wireless performance (FTTC 80/20 trial)

kmilburn
Grafter

ZyXEL router wireless performance (FTTC 80/20 trial)

I've joined the FTTC 80/20 trial and received the new router  today.
From my initial testing, it's likely to end up back in its box.
Testing with Speedtest.net, I get fairly consistent speeds with both the Netgear N150 and the ZyXEL NBG4604.
The Netgear averages around 38mbps.
The ZyXEL averages around 26mbps.  Angry
On the plus side,  speedtest.net has my wired connection at 74mbps and all connections at 17mbps up  Grin
11 REPLIES 11
richards99
Grafter

Re: ZyXEL router wireless performance (FTTC 80/20 trial)

The wireless performance is not great. My Cisco 2000 is far better - I did not even try the rubbish n150 netgear router provided prior to joining the 80/20 trial. N300 really is a requirement if you want to go beyond the same room. Shall be returning to my Cisco when I can be bothered to change back.With the Cisco my wireless network speed was 164 Mb a couple of rooms away from the router - with the ZyXEL I am lucky if I get 54Mb. Can't find a way to limit it to only n either - it insists on allowing b/g/n which can affect network speed.
moonmelon1

i joined the FTTC 80/20 trial at the begining of the week and my Zyxel router turned up, set it up yesterday and have now done a wired test via speedtest.net as the speed tester on plusnet panel isnt working  these are the results
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1837782252.png
40.04 Mb down
9.16 Mb up
16 ms ping
hoping it will get better
steve
Gryzor
Grafter

My testing also shows the Zyxel being slightly slower after a few hours of installation.  Dropped from 36mbps to around 32mbps but its early days.
The big benefit for me over the Netgear are the connections for aerials, OK so the ones that come with it are shocking but a well spent fiver on eBay can get you much better aerials and therefore better coverage.
Oh the v1.00 doesn't give me a lot of confidence but we will wait and see upgrade to 80/20 on Tuesday.
Do I have to reboot the modem or anything?
kmilburn
Grafter

I've done some more testing with a relatively new laptop,  again the Netgear averaged about 37mbps,  but the ZyXEL managed 75mbps, matching my wired performance.
However,  the laptop only managed about 13mbps up.
So,  it looks like if the client talks to the router using the right magic incantation,  it is capable of utilising the full connection speed with the ZyXEL  (subject to it's 100mbps wan port).
When  my line was switched I didn't reboot the modem, and everything worked properly. 
Gryzor
Grafter

OK this is odd, today is my switch to 80/20 according to PlusNet.  Just ran another speedtest and my download has halved to 20mbps and my upload has doubled to 3.5mbps. 
Do I have to reboot any kit?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Gryzor
I've just double checked on your account and can see that the order for 80/20 has gone through.
I'd advise that you reboot the modem and check again, failing that please raise a fault: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If you do have to go down that route I'd appreciate a heads up on this thread as there is a group of other customers experiencing speed faults on the trial: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102776.576/topicseen.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gryzor
Grafter

@Adam
Done some powering down of the router and modem.  No dice.
Results currently:

BTs test gives approximately the same.  Not a wiring issue as nothing has changed, in fact I went to work and it was 36mbps came home and it was 16mbps.  IP profile stuck on the 17.5 setting.
moonmelon1

just over a week now on the 80/20 fttc trial with the Zyxel router
speeds have not changed , still getting about 40 down and 9 up with 20ms ping
spoke to tech support/ faults, was told not to use speedtest.net but the bt site instead due to bandwith abilities
results came back the same.  was then told to come on here and discuss ....
is this the average speed we are getting on the trial? not that im unhappy with 40Mb but just to show what im getting
the Fibre cabinet is about 1/4 mile from me at end on the lane
steve
JEB
Grafter

@moonmelon1
You will be better posting in the 80/20 trial thread as this is dealing with speed problems.
You should run the full BT speedtester and make a note of your IP Profile.  From this you will know what speeds you should be getting given your line.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@moonmelon1
Can you confirm that you used the beta speedtester (for connections above 24mb) on http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ when you tried this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mhasim

I've been on 80/20 trial for a few weeks now and here are my results (currently using ZyXel router)
Wired downstream: 76Mbps
Wired Upstream: 16Mbps
Wireless downstream: 69Mbps
Wireless upstream: 16Mbps
Wireless sync speed to Modem: 150Mbs (802.11n)
So far the connectivity has been very consistant and stable so i cannot fault that. I''ve not seen any real benefit in moving up  from 40/10 to 80/20 except for the upstream which has more than doubled for me. I wish we were given the option of installing our own VDSL Modem, this would then give us the ability to view the actual sync speeds etc.
Plusnet, i'm open to testing any other routers.
Regards
Mo..