Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZyXEL NBG4604 with 300Mbps Trial

Sherlock
Dabbler

ZyXEL NBG4604 with 300Mbps Trial

Hi,
I've been trialling the 300Mbps service for a couple of weeks, and am experiencing some limitations with the ZyXEL NBG4604 router.
Although it boasts gigabit WAN and LAN ports, the WAN to LAN capabilities appear to be limited to 100Mbps. Regardless of what speedtester, cabling, and laptop/desktop I use, the result is never above 100Mbps when connected through the router! Downloads max at 10MB/s. The transfer speeds between LAN devices are as expected. The WAN port however, will perform at gigabit speeds when the router is in Access Point mode as it becomes the 5th LAN port, but as this disables routing functionality, there is no shared internet connectivity.
Is anyone else on the 300Mbps trial using the same router and getting better performance?
Regarding the trial speed, there is no speedtest consistency. I’d expect slight fluctuations depending on traffic however, my speedtest.net graph looks like the jagged edge of a saw! Although my IP profile is 319.25Mbps according to the BT speedtester, when connected directly to the openreach ONT, downloads peak at 13MB/s with speedtest results below 130Mbps.
Could one of the Plusnet team take a look at this as it seems way below par?
On a positive note I have not experienced any downtime, just wildly fluctuating speeds  Smiley
Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: ZyXEL NBG4604 with 300Mbps Trial

I have a feeling that just over 100Mbps is the maximum that router can do WAN to LAN, let me check and get back to you. Should have another couple of routers in next week so can let you have one of them if that's the case.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Sherlock
Dabbler

Thanks for your feedback Dave, happy to put any router through its paces and feed back the results.
For anyone interested, I stumbled across this:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/74-wan-to-lan
Looks like these routers have been thoroughly tested, many of which appear to be available in the UK and it seems that price isn't necessarily related to performance!
Cheers
digitalfixer
Grafter

This chart is very interesting as it shows the router I have (NetGear WNR3500) as having a WAN to LAN throughput of 255.5 , strange that the Max speed I have seen is just under that at 252Mbs! 
To me this does indeed verify what I have suspected and that it is the Router that is the limiting factor on the 330Mbs trial.  So come on PlusNet supply some better routers that have a higher WAN to LAN throughput if you want us to test the 330Mbs service for you properly Sad
Gary