cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst call to customer services possible - and then only pointed to here

Kamrannabi

Worst call to customer services possible - and then only pointed to here

Hey guys,
I called PlusNet yesterday (after a call 2 weeks ago)  - it was in regards to a certain game I was playing - lag spikes I was experiencing (which I posted about over on the gaming forum to no reply from any member of staff).
Unfortunately the guy who I spoke to and his friend (who played xbox alot apparently) had nothing to say or suggest in regards to my problem (except for taking it up with microsoft) - after ringing xbox live they told me their is nothing they could do either.
Forward to last night - more settings tried more ports opened to no avail (Open NAT and still being booted out of games when friends on Sky / Virgin media carry on happily playing).
Just now I was looking at this forum and my options with regards moving ISP and possibly upgrading to FTTP. So I call the leaving line - to be connected to someone who DIDNT EVEN KNOW plusnet are running FTTP trials. All he could say after speaking to a colleague was to post on the forum and see what response I get.
I've been with PlusNet a little over 1.5years, the first time I run into any real problems the customer service has been APPALING.
So here goes, what do I do to get on the FTTP trial - which router will I be provided with, whats the pricing structure. Please reply as soon as possible because i'm thinking my 36pounds a month might be better in the hands of sky.
9 REPLIES 9
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Worst call to customer services possible - and then only pointed to here

Hi Smiley
I'm really sorry about the experiences and responses you have been given in regards to this, I do currently see you are on an FTTC package with us and that should be more than adequate for online gaming(I do a lot of this myself as do many other staff and customers alike), unfortunately at present FTTP is not available for your address and most likely won't be for a while due to FTTC being an available service.
I have spoken to the agent who advised you to post here and updated him on how to check for things such as FTTP to avoid confusion in future, for reference you can apply for current trials at trials.plus.net, however as FTTP is not currently available to order we would be unable to provide that service to you, even on a trial basis.
I'd suggest speaking to our technical support team once more to see if they can find any issues with your connection or router that may cause those disconnects from games, I'd recommend looking at it from a general connection point of view than just the gaming console, are you having issues on any other devices etc?
Out of curiosity though, are you using the supplied router or one of your own and how many devices are currently connected to it?
Kamrannabi

Smiley
Hi Paul,
First and foremost thanks for the swift reply.
I have currently a linksys wrt54gs connected running DD-WRT - I connected that yesterday because I thought i'd give it a try.
My setup is this  router-homeplug-homeplug-xbox.
I gave up on the technicolour router - I messed about with intrusion detection opening ports mtu settings (DMZ / UpNp first of course) before giving up, it gave me the same issues.
I really don't want to look at it at a general perspective - everything else works - my PC's connection is solid (tested with ping /t + with ping software)
I'm going to attach a link to the  Azure Xbox servers (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41653) - something posted on the Halo Waypoint forums as these are the ones I connect to when playing - Using the azurespeed.com  website I see a large variance in ping times to all servers - I tested this at my brothers house (virgin media internet) and his graph didnt show as much variance.
Reason for me possibly leaving plusnet is that I have tried the game at my brothers house (virgin media again) and it worked flawlessly. Non of my xbox live friends (with Sky / BT / Virgin media) are having any issues at all with their game.
What do you suggest I try next?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you get the same issues if the X-box is connected directly to the router and not via the homeplugs?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kamrannabi

Hi spoon,
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to test that out at the moment.
Running the ping /t command to google.com doesnt drop a single packet.
Running the ping /t command to the router also didnt drop a packet. Leading me to believe it cant be the homeplug.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry about the delay in replying again Kamran, we got a little busy for a moment Smiley
I've asked someone in our tech team to do some general checks on your account and connection as that's a little bit outside of my knowledge on technical subjects(I can tell you a ton about virtualization, windows server and radius, but issues like this are unfortunately something I'm not as confident on)
It is quite odd that this only affects your xbox connection, which is why our tech team will have referred you to xbox support, once I get something back from my colleague I'll pop back in here Smiley

Kamrannabi

No worries Paul,
I don't mind waiting as long as I know something is being done. As you can tell i'm quite frustrated about the issue and this is why I am considering leaving.
I'm just running a ping test to the linksys router now locally to make sure what I said above still holds.
The worst thing is I can't put a pattern to the random disconnects to it makes me want to give up trying altogether!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Standard pings are very small packets. Does the ping on the xbox have the option to specify the packet size like you can on windows?
C:\Users\John>ping -l 1200 ntp.plus.net
Pinging ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.10] with 1200 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.159.6.10: bytes=1200 time=12ms TTL=60
Reply from 212.159.6.10: bytes=1200 time=11ms TTL=60
Ping statistics for 212.159.6.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 11ms

That might tell a different story.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My colleague has said that he cannot see any obvious issues that may cause this kind of problem but he has said you would be best to contact our tech team once more to see if anything can be worked out whilst you are on the line, I would say it's probably best not to call at present as there is a long wait for our tech team and calling tomorrow will get you through much quicker.
SteadVex
Grafter

out of interest, have you tried connecting your Xbox to the router via Wi-Fi just to see if you get the same issues?