Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless routers

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Wireless routers

Sorry about that, Dave copied and pasted an older stock response which says we've sent your router when in fact you need to obtain your own one as previously advised. There're plenty listed earlier in this thread that you can choose from, shop around and don't pay high street prices Smiley
nibor
Grafter

Thanks
Gone for a net gear one wndr3700.
imaginax

Can I ask a really newb question then please - apologies if I've missed it going through the threads...
Do BT come out and stick a new box in your wall, replacing your existing master socket for Telephone and ADSL with a new one, attach a modem to that and then plug the modem in via RJ45 to a Router that PlusNet supply... the router essentially taking on the role of firewall and NAT and being the bit they're getting a new supplier for now?
So if I were to plug my 2003 server in that has two NICs and configure ISA Server to have the 1st NIC (plugged into the modem) as external and the 2nd NIC (plugged into the switch) as internal that would essentially do the same thing?
hulls
Grafter

Hi imaginax
I can't answer the last bit, but the BT engineer put a new faceplate on my master scket, which encorporated the microfilter, and included a network socket.  He then put a BT modem on that, and linked the modem to my Thomson router via one of the network sockets.  So yes, the router is now acting simply as a router and not the modem.  It handles the DHCP and (presumably the firewall and NAT functions).
John
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

So long as NIC 1 is set up to create a PPPoE connection and NIC 2 is set up for ICS then yes, you can Smiley
(But I'd have a compatible router for testing when the engineer's over, just in case)
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Add the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N to the "works with PPPoE" list as by chance I got my hands on one to try.
Its a Wireless N router, 4 ethernet ports. So far I've got the wireless switched off because of the Apple wireless kit I'm using. I'm happy though to test the Buffalo's wireless if anyone is interested.
It seems like a nice little box, and as a bonus its got a PPTP VPN server built in which I've successfully configured to work with my iPhone, and I suspect tomorrow from work I'll be able to VPN into home using my laptop as well.
Handy as I don't like leaving too many ports open  Smiley
Regards,
Ashley
nibor
Grafter

Using the net gear wnd3700 set up very easy , works a treat but then it should for the price !!
sanj82
Dabbler

Hi all
I'm hoping to be on the FTTC trial soon and can't wait to break past the 2mb download limit I am currently confined too :). With the unfortunate delay Plusnet are experiencing with the delivery of routers, I have been looking at purchasing the Netgear WNDR3700 to speed up the install which a fair few people have posted about. I have done some research of my own and it does look like it is a good piece of kit however I have a couple of questions I would like to get some views on.
1) Has anyone actually had a bad experience or found a better device to use?
2) (If people don't find this question too personal), what is the cheapest price you found it for?
I have searched the web and excluding some websites which sell them cheap but have very bad reviews, the best prices I have found are:
a) £73.43 from www.alliedsdirect.com - never heard of them or bought from here but found some good reviews and none bad.
b) £106 from www.pixmania.co.uk - heard of these before so slightly less wary of buying from here than Allieds Direct.
c) £125.85 from www.amazon.co.uk - heard and bought from here before and this price is from Amazon themselves and not from Amazon Market Place.
Apologies for the lengthy post and I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts.
Many thanks
Sanjay
nibor
Grafter

Found it a good easy to set up router, and should be ok for a year or two, there are a couple of issues with the media sharing , if you go to the netgear/forum there is a section just for this router. I liked the fact that it had a dedicated 600mhz porcesser in built.
I shopped around I was wary of the really cheap deals, sounded too good to be true, the pixmania was one i nearly went for until  they charge you on top for a discount  card etc (hidden costs) which bumps up the price, plus not sure but it  looked like they were like a market place .
I ended up paying a bit more around £130 and got it from a reputable supplier - got it from SCAN computers.
Stuart5851

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think you'll find that unit, like many other "n" devices only uses the 2.4GHz band, so to get high speeds grabs most of the channels, assuming they're available without any conflicts in your area.
To get real serious speed you need to be at 5GHz, and to pay accordingly.
sanj82
Dabbler

Many thanks for the responses nibor, Stuart5851 and HPSauce.
I am provisionally booked in for an appointment this Friday (1st October) and Dave has confirmed they have had stock of the N routers delivered so may not need to buy one at present. However depending on the model provided and how many items I end up connecting, I may upgrade to a higher spec router later down the line.
I just need BT to stop playing silly beggars and confirm the appointment now.
Stuart5851

Quote from: HPsauce
I think you'll find that unit, like many other "n" devices only uses the 2.4GHz band, so to get high speeds grabs most of the channels, assuming they're available without any conflicts in your area.
To get real serious speed you need to be at 5GHz, and to pay accordingly.

Thanks for the info, can't be any worse than the Thomson router at the moment, had to re-connect about 8 times yesterday, for £6 its worth a try!!!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The Netgear WNDR3700 appears to be a full dual-band (2.4/5GHz) model though there are some comments online about 5GHz being not as flexible as it should be, whatever that means (I've not seen one yet).
Thinking about getting one though as I have 2 PC's now with dual-band wireless adapters (PCI-express).  Cool
nibor
Grafter

I have a cheap PCMCIA N card for sale if anyone needs one, as after purchasing I found my lappy was express card Undecided
PM me if interested, its a dynamode one.