Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless routers

Hugo
Dabbler

Wireless routers

Hi,
I'm due to get set up next week and I was considering buying a wireless n router. I was looking at the netgear rangemax wndr3700. Dave advised me to make sure it does ppoe over wan, but I can't find any definitive statements to say it does. Anybody here using it successfully on fibre setup, or any other N router?
Thanks
50 REPLIES 50
Hugo
Dabbler

Re: Wireless routers

..found out that the router will be fine  Smiley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just bought myself a Netgear WNR1000 RangeMax 150 Wireless Cable Router as part of my new networking setup which should be good for PPPoE.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I think we're getting a couple of those for testing on FTTC too.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Could you not have told me earlier? 😕
hulls
Grafter

From this and the other thread on routers, can I take it that most cable routers would work?  The Thomson seems to be working fine for me at the moment, but I'll probably want to look at an N router in the future.
John
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Yeah so far every cable router we've tried works fine, from memory we've had people use the following fine:
Thomson TG585v7 with config to change port 4 to a WAN port
Thomson TG789vn
Apple Time Capsule
Apple Airport Extreme
Linksys WRT120N (I think that was the model, I think we've had someone use another as well)
Netgear WNR3500L
Dlink DIR 652
We've also tried connecting a PC or a firewall direct to the BT modem and again that works fine.
I'm also hoping to get a ZyXEL router to test soon and Thomson have another router we're looking at. So long as the router has a WAN port and lets you use PPPoE then it works fine.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bighippo999
Grafter

Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems using the TG585?
I mentioned to Dave that it crashed about 4 times when I was trying to add a firewall rule. Was configuring my cousins yesterday and it decided to reboot itself when I was adding a rule again. In particular adding an SSH rule.
The other thing I've noticed is that after a reboot the router will just sit connecting and you have to hit the disconnect and then connect before it will connect up.
It took me a while but I managed to get my multiple static IP's running on mine, but all the above was happening before I reconfigured it for the multiple IP's.
hulls
Grafter

I haven't tried adding rules, but I have noticed that when I reset it, I have make 2 or 3 attempts to get it to connect.
John
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you tried making sure that the VDSL modem has sync'd before requesting the router makes the PPPoE connection?
hulls
Grafter

Good point Ben - no I haven't.  I'll make sure I do that next time.
John
bighippo999
Grafter

Hey Ben,
Can't say I've checked the lights, but shouldn't the BT one stay sync'd if it hasn't been reset?
The thomson seems happy to sit at connecting... until I force it to disconnect and reconnect normally it just connects then.
I'll check the light if I have to reboot again, think I've got everything running as it needs to be now so hopefully wont have to for a while.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I reported numerous lock-ups with the 585v7 in the FTTC thread, including not being able to access the web based config after a while.
The lock-ups usually occur during large downloads.
The failure to connect over PPPoE is also an issue I have had with all the routers I have tried (585v7, 585v8, new d-link wan router) and my Dad (also on FTTC) has also had similar issues. I've tried turning off the VDSL modem before rebooting the router but that does not make much difference.
Given the bad wireless speeds and the lock-ups it's not a router I would recommend for FTTC.
bighippo999
Grafter

Yeah Peter your spot on. I had a call from my cousin earlier who couldn't connect, looks like the router reset itself in the day and lost some of the firewall rules I'd added for him. He just couldn't get it to connect for about 30 mins, and when it finally did say he was connected he turned on uPnP again and hey presto it reset itself then he couldn't get to the page or even ping it.
To make sure it wasn't a dhcp issues I talked him through forcing an IP address onto the laptop and tried to ping it, although the network lights were flashing away it just wasn't working. I'm gonna have to go see him tomorrow and get it up and running again. I'll be taking my spare just incase.
I'd definitely not recommend it. can't wait to see how many hours will get wasted tomorrow. I'm hoping a factory reset will kick it.
JEB
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
I reported numerous lock-ups with the 585v7 in the FTTC thread, including not being able to access the web based config after a while.

Personally I have seen zero lock ups and I have put lots of data though the Thomson. 

James