cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection faster than wired PC?

Twister27

Wireless connection faster than wired PC?

Hi All
I've had fibre for a good few months, I was part of the trial. Have to admit I've only just hooked up a PC (laptop, using VIsta) and the connection is reporting a 3-4mb connection speed but my Mac is reporting 27mb nearly every time. The laptop is using a wired connection same as the Mac, the network card is reporting a 1GB connection, I have an internal hub, the Mac is also connected to this. My iPhone reports a 10 -13mb connection (wireless), my PS3 is reporting 24mb (wired). I've just tested the wireless connection on the laptop and that is reporting a 22mb connection. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the wired connection is so slow? I've tried using the same wire as connected to the Mac.
All suggestions appreciated.
Twister
3 REPLIES 3
ashgeo
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection faster than wired PC?

Twister,
Have you tried disabling the firewall/anti virus on the PC?  These can sometimes signifgantly affect throughput speed.
Regards,
George
matt_2k34
Grafter

do a speedtest with task manager open.
If the laptop isnt that quick (VISTA  :() and its wasting CPU on Flash (speedtest.net's tech of choice for their tester) + your LAN is on the mobo (ofc it is, its a laptop!) then high CPU could significantly kill throughput.
Another possibility is a bad driver - worth poking around for a new one (Get the one for the actual card, from the chipset manufacturer - NOT the laptop maker)
Worth a look Smiley
Regards
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Twister27
connection is reporting

What EXACTLY do you mean by "reporting". In each & every case.
I have, for example, PC's (won't say what OS) that can show BOTH the speed of the network connection to the router (LAN or wireless) and the speed of the internet connection from the router.
Neither of these is the actual "download speed" achieved in tests.
A computer can see many speeds and different types see different ones and interpret them in different ways.
"reporting" means nothing without being specific.  Lips_are_sealed