Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless G.. Oops

Discord
Grafter

Wireless G.. Oops

Just had a thought...
My motherboard (Asus P5W DH Delux) has onboard wifi and as far as I'm able to tell it's only 802.11G.  I'm guessing no amount of fimware upgrades can change this to 'N'. 
Should I get a NIC and disable my onbaord wifi before my fibre install or can this be something I can worry about after installation (accepting I'll only get c25mg on G)?
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wireless G.. Oops

If you want the higher speeds you will need to change but the router will work with it
Discord
Grafter

Cool, no need to panic just yet then.
I'm intending on using a wired connection, just haven't yet worked out how to achieve this without destroying the house!  Actually, while on that subject, are there any issues with cables (between router and PC) when going above c10 metres?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

no
I think Cat 5 has a limit of 100 meters although I haven't run more than 20 metres myself
Anonymous
Not applicable

phil4
Grafter

Everything I've seen of Ethernet over Powerlines (EoP, rather than PoE), says that more often than not, you'll not get anywhere near the quoted speeds (think MPG for cars, or just the upto of ADSL).
notice the use of that nasty phrase "up to" in their own sales blurb:
High transfer rate of up to 500 Mbps
So in my mind:
- get the highest, most stable speed possible by using a direct cable connection.  I use 30m cables in my house and manage a Gigbit connection without issues.
- Use EoP or Wifi, to get "Good speed and connections".  Not guranteed, but pretty good most of the time.
In my real experience I've recently run an extra network cable to my wife's PC, which was using wireless G, then N, and it nearly doubled the network speed tests, and more importantly left them repeatable and reliable.
In the end it's down to your preferences, and tolerance/patience.  G will work, N will be better... powerline might be better still, but a direct cable in my mind beats them all.
Discord
Grafter

Thanks all for the input.
I've avoided the powerlines in the past for no other reason than my brain not being able to comprehend how the heck they could possibly work.  Plus the concern that someone turning on the kettle will cause a 'spike' while I've got my crosshairs nicely lined up.
Good to know the options.  Think I'll stare at the walls tonight and try and figure out my cabling - probably lucky I haven't decorated the lounge or office since moving!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use a combination of wireless-G, gigabit ethernet cabling, and 200Mbit powerline adaptors.
I agree that ethernet cabling would provide the optimum performance, but there are often some places where it is just not practical to put in new network cables.
I happen to run 200Mbit powerline adaptors between my servers (located in an outbuilding) and my router (in the house) and I get a consistent 137Mbit/s.
As for electrical interference, we have ancient fridges, freezers, boiler, cooling fans, and frequently run power tools, and can honestly say I have never had any problems with the powerline data link.
I too was sceptical about these powerline devices, but since having used them I have had no reason to change to ethernet (through a particularly difficult outside wall !).
They also have the advantage that if you choose to move your PC, then the adaptor can move with you, whereas ethernet cabling is pretty much fixed once and for all !.
I also think that many other powerline devices are of poorer quality and have given these devices a bad reputation, but Devolo seem to have got it right with the 200Mbit adaptors.
Discord
Grafter

Think I may be convinced to try the Homeplugs.
Why opt for the 200's and not the 500's?
Anonymous
Not applicable

You correctly detected that I have a preference for the 200Mbit devices, however I should have implied that the preference was compared with first generation 85Mbit adaptors - also from Devolo, as the 200Mbit devices were greatly improved in performance, the firmware is better, and are much less affected by noisy mains.
I have no experience of the 500Mbit devices, and have not seen any negative reports about them, and seeing as Devolo devices seem to incrementally improve with each new product, then by all means try the 500Mbit plugs.
Just looking at the Devolo website, mainly because the 500Mbit adaptors are so new, there is currently slightly less choice of adaptor functionality - if that makes any difference for your application ?.
The only reason I am sticking to 200Mbit plugs, is that it is preferable to have adaptors all of the same type, and 500Mbit adaptors had not been released when I bought my first adaptor set.
A tip that you might consider if you do buy powerline adaptors, BEFORE you set up your network, download the latest firmware from the Devolo website and update ALL the adaptors before plugging them all in !.
Discord
Grafter

ok, cheers for the tips.
No sure I really need the 500's - but if the technology is there...
puffin
Grafter

If you're considering going the Homeplug route you should probably make sure you don't have anyone close by that wants to use ham radio/FM radio/DABas the homeplugs will generate huge amounts of radio interference capable of completely wiping out reception.  (See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/13/bbc_plt/)
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I don't have either ham radio, or DAB, I do have several FM radios which I listen to while using my computers - one of which is plugged into the same wall socket as one of my homeplugs - and I have not noticed ANY interference since adding homeplugs to my network.
Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Discord,
Also remember that when they install they will put in what's called a data extension kit of up to 30m for free.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
no
I think Cat 5 has a limit of 100 meters although I haven't run more than 20 metres myself

The specification maximum length for Cat 5e is 100m - not sure what it is for Cat 5.
If you want to fully future proof for Gigabit speeds go for Cat 6a.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)