cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you wait 4 months for BT, and suddenly the poles go up without warning....

FIXED
FxAxF
Rising Star

Re: When you wait 4 months for BT, and suddenly the poles go up without warning....

OK we will discuss at home tonight and get a series of dates.

Is it worth rebooting the ONT? Haven't tried so far as it's battery backup and will need more physical attention than just unplugging! I've rebooted a million routers, but don't know enough about ONT's to know if it would help.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: When you wait 4 months for BT, and suddenly the poles go up without warning....

@FxAxF

If it's a new style ONT with a combined battery backup then there's a pin hole "reset" on the left hand side of the unit.

You can see details here (might need to click through a couple of times).

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/news/new-equipment-for-installing-ultrafast-broadband-in-newl...

Brian

FxAxF
Rising Star

That's correct, Bri. Not sure if the BBU was included when installed but I'll check at home later.

So I take it that resetting the ONT could have a beneficial effect? Would be much easier than arranging an engineer visit!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@FxAxF

Can't hurt

Brian

FxAxF
Rising Star

OK, tried several reboots of the router, changed login from "username@plusdsl.net" and "setup@plusdsl.net" and no joy. Tried the direct PPPoE into my PC on the hardline, no connection.

Engineer booked for tomorrow afternoon, I'm pretty concerned that he won't find a line fault on their side and it may not get fixed! Strange that @Gandalf can see the line but my router/PC can't!

Finally getting to the last furlong but it's stressful!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've escalated with our suppliers asking them to ensure that an FTTP trained engineer goes out, so I've done all we can.

We'll have to wait and see what happens when they arrive.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FxAxF
Rising Star

Ticking down the two hours until a possible show up.

I'll stay in touch as much as I can, everything on the ONT seems to be in order and your line tests yesterday showed positive results. It could be the One Hub I guess, but I tried to run the ONT directly to a PC yesterday by Cat5 and set up a PPPoE connection on Win7, still no link. I won't be in, but Mrs Kev will be attending and she's got basic knowledge following a bit of training last night Cheesy

If anything, it will be interesting to see what the result is from the engineer, if only to add knowledge to PlusNet regarding how an FTTP can fail yet still be seen as valid on line tests.

I'll feed back anything here Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fingers crossed Cheesy It'll be a day to remember.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@FxAxF wrote:

OK, tried several reboots of the router, changed login from "username@plusdsl.net" ...

@FxAxF

Just a very slim chance, but depending on how long you've been a PN customer, the username can be of a slightly different format for older accounts.

e.g. Mine (from 2002) is of the format username@plus.net - note the missing 'dsl'

FxAxF
Rising Star

@RobPN wrote:

Just a very slim chance, but depending on how long you've been a PN customer, the username can be of a slightly different format for older accounts.

e.g. Mine (from 2002) is of the format username@plus.net - note the missing 'dsl'

Hmm, since around 2009 I believe, but pretty sure it's still XXX@plusdsl.net. My 'Connection Settings' page under account management states this.

Still, I'll call up the wife and ask her to try XXX@plus.net. You never know....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RobPN The realm is definitely @plusdsl.net and to be honest I've actually never seen a @plus.net realm before. (Except you just now, always a first time for everything). Grin

[edit]

looks like our posts crossed @FxAxF

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@FxAxF wrote:

Hmm, since around 2009 I believe, but pretty sure it's still XXX@plusdsl.net. My 'Connection Settings' page under account management states this.

Still, I'll call up the wife and ask her to try XXX@plus.net. You never know....

@FxAxF

If your connection settings say 'plusdsl' that's what it'll be then, also confirmed by @Gandalf  Smiley

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Gandalf wrote:

@... to be honest I've actually never seen a @plus.net realm before. (Except you just now, always a first time for everything). Grin

@Gandalf

You're welcome to check my account details and see such a rarity with your own eyes 'in the flesh', as they say.  Smiley

FxAxF
Rising Star

OK, this is getting really funky now....

BTOR Engineer "A" arrives this morning (for a schedule appointment between 1300 and 1800), can't find anything wrong. Blames the ISP....PlusNet....and states that this is really common and the ISP hasn't done 'something' at their end!

We will get a second opinion later this afternoon from BTOR Engineer "B" to confirm what Engineer "A" thinks.

@Gandalf could you please triple check again that everything is fine at PlusNet's end? I don't want to leave either myself or you guys at fault here....

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

The full engineer notes haven't been added yet but one point in particular is interesting.

"I carried out a  Central Test Head test to the CP  router  this failed. Whe tried  to a Hub 5  the PPP session was OK .  suspect router as testing Ok in the Openreach network.. closing case"

At the risk of going over old ground I assume you've got everything connected correctly? If so the next step would be for us to send you a new router

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team