cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with my 80/20?

houlton23
Grafter

What's going on with my 80/20?

Right, basically we are on the 80/20 trial, and seeing speeds ~ 25Mb/s all day every day, and a reduced upload speed.
Let me state first off, THIS IS A PLUSNET PROBLEM. It is NOT congestion on BT's network.
How can I be so sure of this?
Well using the bug that allows you to log into anyone's PN account on any PN line (note that sometimes it applies the other line's profile, but most of the time it doesn't), I tested both our Extra Fibre account and a regular PN Value account (with permission), here are the (somewhat shocking) results:
PN Extra Fibre VDSL2 21CN account (static ip, 20Mb profile in member centre):

PN Value ASDL1 21CN account (dynamic ip, 1.9Mb (yes one point nine) profile in member centre):
This was what I was getting on our proper account with the 20Mb profile before it went awry (only 45~ because of homeplugs - and don't start blaming them, it's the same at the router)
I've seen enough to conclude there is a problem with PN's profiling system (and not for the first time - just needed a way to prove it).
So PN, over to you.
Alex Smiley
EDIT: Hmmm, after reconnecting back onto our proper account, it seems to have fixed the issue - I've gateway hopped many times a day and it's not fixed it before. Is there some profile being cached somewhere that's only getting overwritten when you connect with another account?

Will monitor and let you know.
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: What's going on with my 80/20?

Yikes!
Nice 'dirty fix' though!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
Nice 'dirty fix' though!

I suspect it won't last forever though Sad
Billing date is only 4 days away so we will see if that has any affect.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'd be surprised if anything changed on the billing date as you're still on the correct traffic profile for the account and that would be the only thing that changes afaik. Having said that if it does then there's definitely something we need to look into.
houlton23
Grafter

Hmm Interesting...
Basically, It's happening again.
First noticed this kind of 'spikey' latency for the last couple days on my BQM:
Today:
Few days ago ( 30th June):

You can see the difference in latency, especially during the night and at peak times (amount of blue at peak), and lots of spikes during the night.
So earlier on I did a resync as this doesn't fix the problem (you can see it on the BQM), I have to do the strange account switching thing detailed in the OP.
Some speedtest results showing the down and upstream differences (very apparent) and three recent tests.

Now before I try the account logout, onto another account (Value) and then back onto normal account, is there anything PN would like me to look at? All profiles look fine, and the VDSL link is as rock solid as ever (SNR ~ 8.9db, synced at full 80000/20000, so that isnt the problem)
Hope someone can make some sense of this.
EDIT: Here's a NetMeter graph showing the erratic but consistently ~ 2-2.2MB/s transfer rates on a 400MB download.
Alex Smiley
houlton23
Grafter

Had to fix it as I wanted to do a large download, so here's the speedtest results / NetMeter graph showing my results..

Alex Smiley