cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What routers can we use to replace the plusnet hub 1

ch13fwiggum

What routers can we use to replace the plusnet hub 1

We've been on the plusnet fttp trial for the last few years, recently we've been seeing issues with our router where it stops responding for short (anywhere up to 5 minutes) periods of time, this includes http requests to the router status and DNS requests (not sure on others, but the issue is most apparant with dns)

The network connection stays up (ping to 8.8.8.8 doesn't drop any packets), but as our DHCP has DNS pointed at the router this does cause issues with general browsing or use of the internet.

Is there an Off the shelf replacement we can swap out with? 

Also is there any news when those of us in trial limbo would be able to recontract with plusnet and fttp? I see various posts that it is coming soon, but when that is, is a bit nebulous

6 REPLIES 6
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: What routers can we use to replace the plusnet hub 1

@ch13fwiggum 

As I understand it any VDSL capable modem / router can be used on FTTP though I'm sure others will point out if I'm wrong.

PlusNet FTTP is coming, possibly by June. I supect the problem has been getting back office systems to work. Historically PlusNet have been happy to leave legacy users as they are. With the Trial you're currently on a 30 day contract I believe. If you re-contract you'd change to PlusNet's current Terms and Conditions - but you would get a Hub2 out of it.

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@bmc  you don't need a VDSL router on FTTP. You just need one with a WAN ethernet interface - some ADSL/VDSL routers do have both.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You don’t need any dsl modem for fttp - needs to have a wan port that supports pppoe iirc.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm on the FTTP trial. I have been using a TP-Link Archer C3150 for a number of years. That particular model is listed by TP-Link as "end of life" now, but still a good piece of kit. Before that I had an Archer C5. I would certainly get TP-Link again when the time comes.

As people have already said, you don't need a router with VDSL capability for FTTP, but many routers come with it anyway. Such routers will typically re-purpose an ethernet port to handle the connection from the ONT

ch13fwiggum

cheers all for the advice, it's an annoying issue, but if it's a month or so to wait for fttp (non trial) with a potential hub 2, might wait it out until then and see what happens

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Is your hub 1 on the latest firmware?
There was an issue the same / similar that was fixed in a firmware update
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'