cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What router do PN supply for FTTP please?

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

19 REPLIES 19
Mal08
Rising Star

Re: What router do PN supply for FTTP please?

It seems I wont get another router at all from the lack of response.
Can you connect the new "customer premise equipment " to the existing router by ethernet and so use that for it's WiFi?
And do I deduce that as there are so few posts to this group that FTTP is much more reliable as one would expect and hope?Huh
libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'd imagine you get a hub one in router only mode? I have my own so not looked into it... And not getting FTTP until I move in Jan, so no idea on reliability.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Mal08
And do I deduce that as there are so few posts to this group that FTTP is much more reliable as one would expect and hope?Huh

I have had FTTP for nearly 2 years now - in that time, to my knowledge there has been only one signal outage, of about 20 minutes late one evening. And only a couple of short PN service outages
The Optical Network Terminator ("customer premise equipment ") has an ethernet port to connect to the router's ethernet WAN port, assuming your router has one. I have used a Billion Bipac 7800n and a TP-Link C8.
I don't know what router PN supply these days - in my spares box I have a TG582 which has one of its LAN ports reconfigured as a WAN port
Mal08
Rising Star

Thanks - I live in hope for a great experience.
Not that I have had a bad one with PN ADSL - I've been with PN for 7 years and at three addresses ( another story ) and had excellent 15M when close to the exchange - and recently only 2M now we are several miles from exchange.
Only a few serious outages in that time
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Mal08
I didn't answer as Plusnet haven't said which router they are sending out for FTTP.
I've been using FTTP for over 2 years and have been using my own router (well I've used 2 actually) once the line was running for a few months. The current one is a TP-Link C5.
I have had issues, one which lasted for 3 months and is documented in the FTTP discussions.
Basically the card in the exchange was faulty but it took 3  months to get it sorted as, of course, FTTP never fails and Openreach wouldn't believe that the solution was to replace the card.
Of course, you will suffer from Plusnet gateway failures, Plusnet DNS failures, Plusnet internet peering failures, exchange congestion, insufficient back haul as you are using the same infrastructure as FTTC/ADSL once the cable is in the exchange.
FTTP isn't the answer to every issue, but it does solve the REIN/crosstalk /cable length issues which affect FTTC speeds.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies for the delayed response.
At the moment I believe we're still sending out the Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704n) on the FTTP trials.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mal08
Rising Star

That's a shame - I was expecting a HH5.
Mind you I would have expected a wifi router with no adsl as that bit is redundant ? -
We don't need a very good wifi range as our router is in the lounge where we use it - no need to blast out wifi to the neighbours.
Is there a wifi router without ADSL ?
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: georgelnx
@Mal08
Of course, you will suffer from Plusnet gateway failures, Plusnet DNS failures, Plusnet internet peering failures, exchange congestion, insufficient back haul as you are using the same infrastructure as FTTC/ADSL once the cable is in the exchange.
FTTP isn't the answer to every issue, but it does solve the REIN/crosstalk /cable length issues which affect FTTC speeds.

Of course I understand that - but I think its a fair guess that most common problems will be with the copper wires used for ADSL which to me has always seemed a shaky technology
Mal08
Rising Star

Well I am due to have my internal instal done on Friday, the post has been today and no new router yet???
What with the Christmas volume of post I would have expected my new router sent ou8t in plenty of time !!!!!!!!!!!!
I just hope my old TG582 can be used in the interim?
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: Mal08
Well I am due to have my internal instal done on Friday, the post has been today and no new router yet???
I just hope my old TG582 can be used in the interim?

No your old router cannot be used, Plusnet supply a modified router for FTTP.
cajef
Grafter

Sorry Strat but I didn't think I quoted the full post I am pretty sure I missed the middle line out. Sad
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Apologies....indeed you did so I have reinstated the quote and cleaned my glasses Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Plusnet supply a modified router for FTTP.

It's no different from the FTTC routers we provide, I believe some of the TG582s could be switched from ADSL to FTTC mode so it may work.
@Mal08 - Could you PM me your username so I can check what's happening with that for you please
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Apologies

Thank you kind sir. Smiley