cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the cost of FTTP per month if I already paid for the line saver in advance

JonUK
Dabbler

What is the cost of FTTP per month if I already paid for the line saver in advance

Hi,

I have ADSL with Plusnet and at the beginning of December I renewed and paid the line rental in advance (roughly £200). Now near the end of December (more that 14 days on) I have been made aware I can get FTTP. I would like to get the Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra up to 76Mbps which is £19.99 per month. As I have already paid roughly £200, can that money now be used for pay the monthly cost of the FTTP?

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: What is the cost of FTTP per month if I already paid for the line saver in advance

Highly unfortunate timing!!!

A staff member will reply in due course but I suspect the answer is no - you've signed a deal and will be held to it as it would (I suspect) cost PlusNet money to cancel.

You can however get the FTTP service with no install costs and no change to your contract term (I believe). Then at the end of your phone line deal you can cancel the phone line if not required.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: What is the cost of FTTP per month if I already paid for the line saver in advance

bmc wrote:

You can however get the FTTP service with no install costs and no change to your contract term (I believe). Then at the end of your phone line deal you can cancel the phone line if not required.

I'm afraid it's correct that we wouldn't be able to write off the Line Rental Saver on the account in favour of moving the payments to cover the cost of FTTP.

If WBC FTTP is available (Not FTTP on Demand) you'd still be able to join the fibre trial, however we'd continue providing a phone line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
JonUK
Dabbler

Bah... not the answer I wanted... but thanks for clarifying anyway.

Well BT is currently £40 a month for 76Mbps FTTP so with the £20 a month I have already paid in advance and the additional £20 a month extra I need to pay, it evens out.

bmc
Hero

Given the costs you're already paying it's not that much more to get the FTTP service and then start saving in a year's time!!!

Just to confirm does the DSL Checker have "WBC FTTP" in the left hand column. If so, there will also be a column headed FTTP Install Process which will have "1 stage" or "2 stage" - one visit or two.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Finally there would be a narrative about FTTP below the results which would have some like "UG feed" or "OH feed" which can provide a bit more information on potential install issues.

Brian

JonUK
Dabbler

Hi Brian,

I don't have a phone number at the moment so wasn't able to do an accurate lookup. 

On the Openreach site using my postcode it says 

Exchange name: Botley 
Exchange status: Fibre enabled 
Cabinet number: 38 
Technology: FTTP 

And on the BT Broadband site it says:

You can get speeds up to 300Mb with Unlimited Infinity 4, and you can get BT TV.

From my understanding it's FTTP and not FTTP on Demand. I'm in a 3 year old new build which has the cables coming in underground.

One thing I was wondering is can the installer put the internal ONT box where you like within a certain distance? Ideally I would put it under the stairs but not sure how they would feed it into there as that is in the middle of the ground floor.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

JonUK wrote:

From my understanding it's FTTP and not FTTP on Demand

That's right, all looks fine to sign up to the fibre trial over at trials.plus.net Thumbs_Up

03212653FTTP.png

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
JonUK
Dabbler

Thanks Harry,

Looking forwards to the jump from 2.5Mbps (on a good day!) to a 76Mbps!

bmc
Hero

@JonUK

HarryB has confirmed it is FTTP so that's fine. The image also shows the install requires only one visit (assuming no problems).

If you have ADSL from PlusNet then you have a phone number. If you log in to PlusNet and then look at View/Edit my Details in the Members Centre you'll see the number on which your service is provided.

Brian