cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if someone else has a full fibre connection at your house?

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What if someone else has a full fibre connection at your house?

Just wondered what would happen if someone else wanted one?
Automated ordering sees the existing line and looks to change the service on that line rather than provide a new line.
13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: What if someone else has a full fibre connection at your house?

Currently we’re only providing full fibre to existing customers, so it’ll be a change of service. I don’t know though what things will look like when we start offering full fibre to new customers, but we’ll see.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
southerner
Aspiring Pro

What if someone else at a property already has full fibre from a different provider? Does that mean Plusnet would be unable to convert my current FTTC to FTTP? & what will happen when OR decommission the old copper PSTN service?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@southerner wrote:
 What if someone else at a property already has full fibre from a different provider? Does that mean Plusnet would be unable to convert my current FTTC to FTTP? 

Do you mean if there's both an active FTTP and FTTC at one property?

@southerner wrote:
 what will happen when OR decommission the old copper PSTN service?

I've no plans to share regarding future plans. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
southerner
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf - Correct. I currently have PN FTTC at the property which would be nice to upgrade to FTTP but someone else at the property already has FTTP with Sky.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don’t see an issue with that though it would depend if Openreach will install a second ONT, or connect our FTTP to the existing ONT, assuming it has more than one port. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @Gandalf
I believe the issue lies with Openreach.
They only provision one fibre connection at the CBT per property.
The newer ONTs only have one Ethernet port.
Older ONTs have four ports and theoretically different ISPs could activate indivdual ports.
Due to ISP system limitations most mass market ISPs can only activate port 1 on the 4 port ONTs.
Regards
Richard
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@southerner 

Are you talking about a single residential property ie not flats.

In the old days you could get more than one phone line so it'll be interesting tosee what happens if you try for FTTP.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@southerner 

Just another though. Use the following to see what it says about your address.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Ignore the results window and look below at the narrative. What does it say about FTTP.

Brian

southerner
Aspiring Pro

I think this is the info which made me aware I might have problems :

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct.
ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

Activating your service
Good news. You've already got a Full Fibre connection so you don't need an engineer. Your service should be up and running in 3 working days', or you can choose a date you'd like your service to go live. You don't need to be home when we activate your connection.
bmc
Hero

@southerner 

Do you get the same message using the phone and address versions (enter post code only and select address from drop down list) ?

I can only use the Address version as I have no phone number. My ONT has 4 ports and the message I get is

"A spare port may be available or a single port ONT may be swappable to a multiport ONT"

It was several years ago I got FTTP and it was suggested at the time I could order FTTP from more than one ISP.

If you were to try for FTTP can you share the ONT or would you be looking to get it installed elsewhere in the house?

I think the wizard may be needed to talk to his OR friends.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@southerner 

If you can use the existing fibre cable and ONT then it appears it is possible to have more than one connection. The poster on this thread now has three. It did involve changing the ONT to accomadate the third connection.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/Adding-an-FTTP-Connection-Currently-have-2-on-our-ONT/td-p/...

If you're looking for a new, separate ONT then you could be limitied by capacity. The UG chamber for my house has an 8 port Distribution Point (DP) (aka Connectorized Block Terminal - CBT). It serves 7 houses so theoretically it has a spare port.

Brian

southerner
Aspiring Pro

I checked and both searches say pretty much the same. I think the problem would be for me that the current ONT at the property only has 1 port and that's in use so OR would need to change it for a multi-port one to accommodate me. I'm not sure if OR would/could do that though and how much they would charge for doing that.

bmc
Hero

@southerner 

Unless I've mis-read your posts, you've not said if you can use the exisitng ONT location for both services. If so, I don't think you have much of a problem once you convince an ISP to install the service.

The other poster didn't say anything about being charged for a new ONT. You could post on that thread and ask.

Brian