cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[WBC] fttc fttp latency

scootie
Grafter

[WBC] fttc fttp latency

would appreciate if the boys and girls of the fttc an soon to be fttp trials could do me a favour and post any stats on your latency every now and then so i can get a picture on the latency side of the technology, don't get me wrong the bandwidth makes me drool at the mouth when i look at the 16mb fttc speed checker result for my 63+db 1500kbps profile line, But am gamer and number one on my needs to have list is low stable latency (stable probably being of most importance as long as under 40ms but the closer to the golden trophy of 10 an under would be a dream)
i have the chance to join the fttc trial even tho my current line is locked into post office till next march, which am grateful for being given the offer, but as a few of you know i didn't like the latency issue of wbc adsl2 in the trial days as it drove me Crazy with it being my only gaming connection, all tho it wouldn't matter this time as i have a already half decent gaming connection its just the fact that with out netlimiter 3 beta throttling the pc to use 1000kbps down and 100kbps up of my 1500 down and 380 up total then its imposable to use the connection simultaneous for latency sensitive stuff
so even if i do or don't join the trial it would still be nice to be able to see a nice tidy thread on just fttc fttp latency for all to see
thanks luke
if you can post what router ect your using with the open reach modem, and if you know if your cab is one getting in to the ball park of the cross talk  issue of fttc. if you thinks of any thing else end user'ish that might have a bearing on latency let me know to make up a new check list plz
10 REPLIES 10
JEB
Grafter

Re: [WBC] fttc fttp latency

The best pings I have seen are 13ms to internet servers, I don't know what it is during gaming.  Is it actually possible to get < 10ms on any home connection?
As an aside does anyone know if there is anything like interleaving with vdsl2?
[Edit: done some reading and it seems that VDSL2 supports selective interleaving for certain traffic types e.g VOIP rather then being on or off for all traffic.  I don't know if BT have their systems configured to do this though]

James
scootie
Grafter

Is it actually possible to get < 10ms on any home connection?

yes if you live near telehouse in london where the gateways are located
probally best to do compares of latency across peoples connections by using bbc.co.uk as the target as this is a pretty stable server to ping
As an aside does anyone know if there is anything like interleaving with vdsl2?

good question wonder if dave will be about to let us know what he knows about the dlm side of vdsl
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

There's no interleaving on FTTC and while DLM is there I've not actually really see it make any changes yet as most lines don't seem to be seeing much in the way of errors and resyncs because the copper is so much shortly. It's like being back of the old days of rate adaptive upstream on 512kbps lines in that it DLM can change but doesn't seem to need to do much.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Danplusnet
Grafter

Reviving an old thread but to keep those monitoring the trails updated.
On adsl2+ my ping used to be 14m/s with no interleaving. When BT enabled FTTC in my road pings were pushed over 20m/s but luckily now on FTTC my ping is 11m/s. As you can see for me ping wasn't increased much by going over to FTTC (ignoring the rewiring aspect at the cabinet).
As far as gaming is concerned there really hasn't been much of a difference ever since I was on ADSL. I can only assume that this is because online gaming actually takes up very little bandwidth.
scootie
Grafter

cheers dan
Danplusnet
Grafter

You might also want to keep an eye on this thread too "FTTC - Download speed issues" erractic pings and download speed issues during peaks periods.
Download slower than upload definitely doesn't work if you like to game online - unless you like to be shot a lot (if first person shooters are your thing). Wild roaming goats are better able to defend themselves against the opposition.
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Thread reference turned into a linky Smiley
andymurdoch
Grafter

I am too very interested in this - keep running in to Asbo in various forums related to gaming and pings ; )
Im still on old adsl max, non 21cn as i was already pinging 10-12 to bbc for example on old dsl and didnt want to risk it, however i do only get 3meg and would be nice to have these pings on faster connex....
Really interested to see how stable these connections are and how they ping, as i am also in a position to get on to the FTTC trial, already enabled in my area - if i could guarentee the same stability and pings i would sign up tomorrow, shame FTTP isnt round by me as i can see that being amazing for pings and gaming in general.
nibor
Grafter

My ping started if at arounf 11 - 19ms but now seems to have settled at 36-39 ms
scootie
Grafter

36-39ms that seems like we are going a step backwards rather than having a better technology to buy.
on this post office interleaved line am getting 30ms avg, lets hope they can iron out the latency on fttc to show it performs better than a standard adsl g.dmt product that was released to the mass public time ago.
i know its early days for fttc but the issues that seem to pop up from the cabinet end is adding an extra thorn into the side of broadband faults
tomm
Grafter

On non interleaved ADSL2 I was achieving about 20ms ping times to bbc.co.uk. When I moved onto FTTC in July I was achieving in the range 17-21ms ping to www.bbc.co.uk. I tried a few pings to bbc.co.uk yesterday about 9:30pm and I was achieving pings of 17-21ms.
Just now...
Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.95] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.246.95: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55
Reply from 212.58.246.95: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
Reply from 212.58.246.95: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 212.58.246.95: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Ping statistics for 212.58.246.95:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 17ms
I think nibor has been having issues and has raised a broadband speed fault in a separate thread, perhaps when that is resolved his pings will recover.
Tom