cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed on FTTC

Merlin
Grafter

Upload speed on FTTC

I was on the original FTTC trial when my dowload speed was 37Mbs and Upload 7Mbs.  Following the end of that trial I was moved to FTTC Extra and retained my Plus addon.  There was no change in upload speed.  When I last checked a couple of months ago upload was still 7Mbs
As of today I find that I am locked down to 1.5Mbs upload
Am I correct in thinking FTTC trialers retained the original upload speed?
PS I have applied for the 80/20 trial.  It will be interesting to see what PN charge on this compared to BT Infinity.
14 REPLIES 14
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Upload speed on FTTC

I seem to recall reading at the end of the trials that if you moved packages you no longer stayed with the trial speeds and reverted to the standard 2Mbs upload for the package. It was onl;y if you stayed on the same package after the trial ended that you kept the trial speeds.
I'm not sure if that has changed since as I've seen posts where people were asking this about moving and they kept the existing trial speeds.
Merlin
Grafter

Yes, I recall that but I have never changed the package and the upload speed stayed the same until recently whereas the trial ended last spring
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've just done some checks and can confirm that you're still provisioned on the up to 10Mb speeds and that your fibre modem is in sync at that speed. There's no profiles on our systems that can slow this down, are you still experiencing the slow upload and if so does powering down the router for 5 - 10 minutes or so then powering it back up make any difference?
shrubb21

Hello Plusnet Members
Im on 40/2 speeds can anyone tell me how can i get 10mb upload speed ive contacted plusnet so many times all i get told is they only offer upto 2mb upload speed
Paul.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's correct that Plusnet FTTC fibre products offer only 40/2 Mbps speeds. However if you accept the conditions you can sign up for the 80/20 Mbps trial as described in the opening post here.
David
shrubb21

Thanks spraxyt i dont really want to sign up for them speeds so many members on here saying there having loads of problems with there 80/20 speeds think i wait till product is on sale by then there be more support
Paul
shrubb21

Forgot to add to my last message on here says this
For an additional £2 per month you can choose to increase just the upload speed to 10Mbps on the two 40Mbps options
?????????
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As far as I'm aware those 40/2 -> 40/10 upgrade options relate to the FTTP Value and Extra trial products which became available on 1st February 2012. Details.
David
Merlin
Grafter

I started this thread off with my upload speed which seemed to have dropped from ca 8Mbs  to 1.6Mbs even though my profile as an initial FTTC trialist should have been 40/10.  PN has confirmed that this is correct and that the trialists should still be on that profile UNLESS they have changed product when the download would drop to 2Mbs

Anyway, after a lot of checking cables, NICs etc  I find the my upload speed on my old XP Prof box is still ca 8Mbs  but on my shiny new Win7 64 bit box it is only 1.6Mbs.  Further checks with a Win7 32bit laptop gives the same result.  Disabling the sw firewall on the win 7 machines increases my upload speeds to those I would expect ie 8Mbs
During this my profile has been changed to the trial 80/20  but the upload speed is still throttled by the win7/fw combination.  Clearly it is not a good idea to run without a firewall and so I have taken this up with the supplier GFI Software.  Their support is good so I am hopeful of a resolution.
I post all this in case anyone else has unexplained speed issues.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you switch off the GFI firewall, is it not possible just to switch the windows firewall back on?  That should, at least, give reasonable protection (bear in mind most users are also behind a router firewall - unless using DMZ or similar).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Merlin
Grafter

Thanks to Walker 23 for the suggestion re Windows FW.  I have moved on since my post earlier today, turning off web filtering in GFI while leaving the main firwall enabled provides a temporary fix.  I am in contact with GFI over the issues.  I posted this in case others have similar problems either with GFI or other firewalls. 
richards99
Grafter

I just use my router firewall and have switched every other one off.
Merlin
Grafter

In response to richards99, well if you are happy with that fine but the firewall in the relatively cheap routers is not very comprehensive and certainly provides no protection against other machines on the local network.  You may not consider that a problem but is is quite easy if you have more than one pc connected for one of those to get an infection which can then transfer to other machines on the network.

Anyway, back to my problem.  I have been in touch with GFI is the US and they are treating this seriously but it is going to require developer work to get a patch sorted.  I must compliment them on the speed of their response and that they are treating this seriously.
I wonder how many of the well know vendors would have picked up this sort of issue?  It would be interesting to know if any other FTTC/FTTP users have seen a similar problem with other brands of security software.  By the way I find the speed test site speed test.net much more convenient than the BT test site.
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: Merlin
I have moved on since my post earlier today, turning off web filtering in GFI while leaving the main firwall enabled provides a temporary fix.  I am in contact with GFI over the issues.  I posted this in case others have similar problems either with GFI or other firewalls. 

I have had the same problem with GFI (Vipre) when using Windows Vista. Also notice that it's really slow getting in to the Vipre control interface 2-3 minutes !!!
I raised this as a problem with them in November last year and they still haven't fixed it...
It's GFI ticket number GFI-111130-463410 if you want to confirm with them that other people are suffering this problem.