Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed of 0.77 Mbps

FIXED
gse111
Fixes: 1

Upload Speed of 0.77 Mbps

I've worked from home for 2-3 years before the pandemic started. In the last few weeks I have noticed more and more problems with quality in video conference calls, which I previously put down to increased demand during the day (and maybe with the video conference company rather than my ISP) but now it is starting to get really bad. So now I've started to investigate further.

I've had a look through the forum and used the BT performance test tool, to find out my upload speed is 0.76Mbps! IIRC correctly I was getting around 12Mbps before recent weeks.

There is also the issue that my download speed tested at 23.23 Mbps as well when I am used to around double that, but 23Mbps is still very usable even with video calls. I need to get a resolution on that upload speed, however, I am experiencing lots of problems with cut outs and garbled audio and I make the case this is probably because my uplink is getting easily saturated.

I've attached the performance test report.

Thank you

Gavin

3 REPLIES 3
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Upload Speed of 0.77 Mbps

Hi Gavin, hopefully this will help as I think we may have the same problem which I raised last week:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-upload-speed-lower-than-ADSL2/m-p/1732495#M11121...

My Plusnet FTTC returned between 35 and 37Mb downstream but upload has been only 1.5 to 1.7Mb or less than I used to get on ADSL2. I am advised that my connection is on the old 40/2Mb package instead of the more recent 40/10.

CS adviser [CSA Removed] asked me to raise a fault but the system says I can't raise a fault because there isn't one … still waiting for a reply to this, but I do understand the call centre is under great pressure.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

Addition to previous message which I cannot edit: I've just had yet another try at fault reporting and this time obtained a comment section which allowed me to describe the problem and raise a ticket. Will report back if I hear anything.

gse111
Fixes: 1

Fix

I'm reporting back to close off this thread.

I had ordered a second rj11 to rj11 cable just to be sure the problem wasn't the connection between the BT wall socket and the router. Whilst I was waiting for it to arrive, my connection dropped to 9Mbps down and 0.2Mbps up.

The cable arrived today, I used it to connect the router and... my broadband has gone back up to the expected speed.

I never would have expected a cable to gradually detioriate such that it affect the broadband performance slowly over time, I would have expected it to drop off much more quickly, so thank god I have the patience to order and wait for the additional cable to arrive, otherwise I'd be paying BT £65 to tell me the problem was with my own cable.!

So I am posting this here to highlight to all my fellow broadband users the importance of checking the components internal to your house, including cables. Even if you don't think that's where the problem is, it is worth checking everything you can rather than assuming the problem is elsewhere!