Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Full Fibre, static IP and existing Mesh network

FIXED
Candt
Hooked

Upgrade to Full Fibre, static IP and existing Mesh network

I'm so glad to come back from hols and see Full Fibre available on PN now! But before I pull the trigger, I wanted to ask 2 specifics here :

1. I think I've confirmed this from the Static IP thread, but will my existing FTTC Static IP be retained? My work has it whitelisted on my company's cloud in many places, so its a bit of an undertaking to change!

2. I have a new-ish Wifi 6 Mesh Router and 2 satellites, so I don't really want the PN Router. Can I get the service without it, and with Full Fibre, is there still a little modem, like I have currently? (A BT Openreach one is what I currently have)

Thanks all

16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

Re: Upgrade to Full Fibre, static IP and existing Mesh network

Fix

@Candt 

1. Yes, your static IP will be retained. There was an issue initially that the static IP wasn't allocated but that has now been fixed.

2. As long as the router can do PPPoE for its WAN connection then it will work just fine.

Effectively the ONT (optical network termination) is the equivalent of the Openreach modem, so you just connect the router WAN to the ONT with an ethernet cable.

Hope that helps

NB the ONT is about the same size as a normal master socket, wall mounted and needs to be close to a mains socket

edit: you do realise you will lose your landline and number when you upgrade to full fibre ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Candt
Hooked

Thanks @MisterW. So there is some engineer work for installation? It's not just an exchange switch-flip, I mean.

What does that mean for the existing copper that my phone is using? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Candt 

So there is some engineer work for installation?

Oh yes. an Openreach engineer will pull fibre from the nearest agregation point, to a CSP ( grey box ) mounted externally on your wall, then connect the ONT internally to the CSP by drilling a hole in the wall. There's a video here which explains better than me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDl0-KkPy8

What does that mean for the existing copper that my phone is using? 

If its an overhead feed then it will be removed and replaced by fibre from the pole. If its underground it may be left ( or used to pull the fibre through the duct ) but it will be disconnected

What does the availability checker say for the FTTP install process ? 1 stage , 2 stage or KCI2 Assure ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 22

The copper line will be removed most probably.  They are sometimes left in for underground feeds.  Even if it is left the copper won't be used.  A new fibre will be taken from either the top of the pole, or a pavement chamber (depending on if you are fed overhead or underground), to a CSP (Customer Splice Point) which is usually on the outside of an external wall of your house, then from there, drilled through the wall, to the ONT.  

Edit: MisterW beat me to it!

Candt
Hooked

Thanks @MisterW 

I'm not sure how to check my Full Fibre status - the open reach checker just says 1Gbps is available for my address - and I know they've done the work in my estate a few months ago.

As for the phone - I understand I'd need to switch to VoIP, but does Plusnet offer that, with the option to keep my current number? It's not clear from the marketing pages to me.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Candt there's a column to the rhs of the availability display headed 'FTTP Install process'. If you're not sure then just post a screen dump of the availability display ( redacting any phone number or address details ) .

I'm afraid Plusnet are not offering a voip product and currently there is no way to transfer to voip without closing the account.

To explain, Transferring to voip whilst the existing account is active, will cease the landline and associated broadband. Transferring the account to FTTP will again cease the landline, thus making it impossible to transfer the number to voip , since the number MUST be active to enable the transfer, catch 22!

Candt
Hooked

@MisterW I might have missed it, but where do I get that information? All the checkers I use just seem to end up saying FTTP is available, with no detail!

TBH though, losing the phone number is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I don't know if PlusNet are planning it, but this might have to wait until I can keep my phone number.

Candt
Hooked

Never mind - I found it @MisterW 

It says "1 Stage"

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Candt ok, that means a single visit, no installation problems are expected. Likely to take about 2 hours.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 56

@Candt 

On the Checker there will be a narrative below the results window which will include information about FTTP. It might say if any problems are expected.

It does not appear that PN have any plans for a VOIP service in future - so it's loose number or change ISP. You should be able to move to BT free of any early termination charges if you phone PN and tell them your'e moving to keep your phone number. PN Options Team are on 0800 013 2632

Brian

Candt
Hooked

Thanks for that both,

I don't get the VoIP thing though - isn't it true that OFCOM says your number belongs to you, so switching to a dedicated VoIP provider should mean PlusNet gives the number up? Or am I confused (quite likely)...

VoIP is just internet, I mean, I have a work VoIP phone on my desk at home right now, with my work number. PlusNet should be entirely cut out of the equation with a VoIP handset in my home as its just another internet-aware device.

bmc
Hero

@Candt 

Unfortunately it's how the PN system works. Your landline is associated with your FTTC service - porting the number ceases the landline which in turn ceases the FTTC service resulting in the closure of your account.

There is one possible way of keeping your number but it depends on how close you are to the end of your contract, if PN e-mail matters to you and if you're happy for a bit of internet downtime.

Brian

Candt
Hooked

@bmc 

Is this the famous "switch to BT" solution Cheesy

I'm actually right at the end of my contract, and have never used the PN email address, but tbh, my static IP is probably more important that my landline number, which really only gets called by telemarketers and scammers now. I don't think BT offer a static IP without a business package.

So I suppose the question is whether we can afford to lose the number.

bmc
Hero

@Candt 

One member did manage to port their number to Sipgate the day before their FTTP installion. The port happended late in the day and FTTP got installed the following morning - presumably before the PN system caught up this things. This is a gamble because if the FTTP install gets delaying for any reason then PN may / would cancel the order.

In response to a query Sipgate apparently said the following but PN wouldn't / won't confirm things.

"Unfortunately, we can only port active numbers over to sipgate and as soon as Plusnet cancel your current contract, and the number drops into their number pool, then it becomes inactive, so is no longer portable by sipgate. I'm afraid we do have the option to port inactive numbers out of other providers number pools, so the only way we could port your number would be at a time when it is still active with Plusnet. In similar situations, what we are seeing other customers doing, is that they organise the FTTP switch, and ask for a date approx 3 weeks minimum in the future. Then once they get an switch date, they sign up for a sipgate account, verify and set it up, and then start a number port process. Asking for the port to complete on a specific date, one day after the FTTP move. Normally (though we can not provide any guarantees) as long as the port is submitted to Plusnet and they accept it before the switch date, then they will keep the number active for 1 extra day to allow the port to complete. From a fresh sipgate sign up to the number porting requires approx 3 weeks, this is why we suggest a 3 week timespan."

Once again the above is a gamble on PN keeping the number active.

The other way to do it is to is to place an order as a new customer and port your exisiting number the day before. If things went as planned you might be offline for a day or so. You would have to pay for a new Static IP and I suspect you wouldn't be able to get the old one (though it's worth asking). If you don't re-contract your old account you might be lible of up to 30 days of early termination charges.

Brian