Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to FTTP and keep current static IP, also want to port landline to A&A

FIXED
Phil_Tyler
Hooked

Upgrade to FTTP and keep current static IP, also want to port landline to A&A

Historically I have a static IP address and have had the same one for YEARS.  If I upgrade my 80Mbps FTTC line to a FTTP service will I keep the same static IP address or will I be assigned a different static one?  I run my own Mail-In-A-Box server to host my own email and websites and that is also my own nameserver.  If I change static IP then I have to pursuade my domain registrar to update the DNS glue records so my nameserver can still be contacted and this is a PAIN in the A*SE!

Also do I port the landline number to A&A before the FTTP upgrade or after?

2 REPLIES 2
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Upgrade to FTTP and keep current static IP, also want to port landline to A&A

Fix

@Phil_Tyler Your static IP should remain the same, although there is a very miniscule risk of losing it - not enough to worry about, in my experience.

You port your phone number within 30 days of the switch, but be aware there only appears to be A&A who are prepared to do the legwork - other VoIP services only seem capable of switching a live number, which would lose your static IP for you.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Upgrade to FTTP and keep current static IP, also want to port landline to A&A

@Phil_Tyler 

As I understand it you keep the same static Ip - your account doesn't change.

You port (asap) after FTTP is installed and up and running. Doing so before could lead to your account being closed.

You can set your A&A account up in advance to confirm your phones work. The A&A automatic port may fail but A&A Support are happy to phone and arrange a manual port. There may be a few days downtime on your phone service.

Brian